+ Reply to Thread

Default how do I 'wrap' a porch header?

hello all, I am wanting to replace my detorating porch columns with the maintenence free vinyl type. I think I understand that process. I would like to wrap (or make maintenence free) the 4x6 cedar header that they will be supporting. that's the part I'm not sure of. what type of material do I need? how is it bent to fit? and can I do it with one piece? header is 12' long. thanks to all replies.

Arrow Re: how do I 'wrap' a porch header?

I do not have the answer, but am curious as to what people suggest, as we are getting ready to replace part of a deck as well.

We are debating whether to replace the whole deck or just the beams, as the base structure still looks to be in great shape. I have not attempted a project on a deck before, but need to in the next few months (at least by winter).

Thanks,
    Allison
    http://www.novapros.com/blog

Default Re: how do I 'wrap' a porch header?

Normally aluminum is used to "wrap" exterior surfaces like window frames, beams, etc that are already in place. It is bent using a "brake" (google Tapco aluminum brake to see a pic). It would probably be done in 8' - 10' pieces for ease of handling and bending.

you can cap it with either vinyl or aluminum you dont have to use plan flat coil stock on a brake. alcoa has some example products here is one aluminum one 12' long scroll down for the deeper ones. http://www.alcoahomexteriors.com/sit...=3&styleId=841

you could also cap it in all vinyl trim sheet or vinyl coated aluminum trim coil. important to make sure either is done so water doesnt get between it and the wood and if it does will drain and dry. they can brake it 12' for you no seam showing.

both materials move when temperatures change.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 09-02-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    you can cap it with either vinyl or aluminum you dont have to use plan flat coil stock on a brake. alcoa has some example products here is one aluminum one 12' long scroll down for the deeper ones. http://www.alcoahomexteriors.com/sit...=3&styleId=841

you could also cap it in all vinyl trim sheet or vinyl coated aluminum trim coil. important to make sure either is done so water doesnt get between it and the wood and if it does will drain and dry. they can brake it 12' for you no seam showing.
    both materials move when temperatures change.
    Can you form bend vinyl on a brake?