+ Reply to Thread

Default how many outlets for a 15 amp breaker

i am wiring an old house 1903 bare walls i currently have 10 outlets and 2 lights on the same 15 amp circuit with 14/2 and 14/3 wire living and family room how many boxes and lights should normally put on a 15 amp breaker also should the washing machine be put on a dedicated 20 amp breaker i live in california

Default Re: how many outlets for a 15 amp breaker

Seems like I read somewhere that there is no limit on the number of receptacles that can be on one circuit . I may be wrong and it won't take long to find out here .
    Put the washer on a dedicated ckt .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Seems like I read somewhere that there is no limit on the number of receptacles that can be on one circuit . I may be wrong and it won't take long to find out here .
    Put the washer on a dedicated ckt .
    I've always found this confusing as well. I was always told it was a maximum of 6, but in practice there doesn't seem to be a limit. I also constantly hear that multiple appliances need to be on a dedicated circuit, but look in any panel and I dare you to find dedicated circuits for a dishwasher, disposal, refrigerator, or laundry equipment. And places that IMHO should have dedicated circuits, such as a home office or entertainment center, and again, no such beasts.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

By code there is no limit. However, in practice most of us prefer to put lights and outlets on separate circuits, so you don't end up completely in the dark if a breaker trips. The washer should be on a separate circuit. Code generally only prescribes the size of a service to a particular area, as an example a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a bath room, and a dedicated 20 amp service to kitchen outlets but there is no limit on the number of outlets on those circuits.

I do see down the road restrictions on the number of outlets on a circuit as the use of more and more electronics come into play.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: how many outlets for a 15 amp breaker

thank you for the information i appreciate all the help i can get

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    By code there is no limit. However, in practice most of us prefer to put lights and outlets on separate circuits, so you don't end up completely in the dark if a breaker trips. The washer should be on a separate circuit. Code generally only prescribes the size of a service to a particular area, as an example a dedicated 20 amp circuit to a bath room, and a dedicated 20 amp service to kitchen outlets but there is no limit on the number of outlets on those circuits.

I do see down the road restrictions on the number of outlets on a circuit as the use of more and more electronics come into play.
    Jack
    Great minds think alike....
    I would agree with some type of limit coming down the pipe. But when and how many, good luck with that..... Better off guessing at the winning Power Ball numbers
    Once again, by limiting the amount of outlets per circuit, you introduce those cheap Dollar Store extension cords into the mix. Bad, very bad...
    Does not the Canadian code have a limit though? Methinks someone on board could answer that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Once again, by limiting the amount of outlets per circuit, you introduce those cheap Dollar Store extension cords into the mix. Bad, very bad...
    Does not the Canadian code have a limit though? Methinks someone on board could answer that one.
    Yep --CEC allows up to 12 on a 15 amp circuit = 80% ---- though some areas are going to10.
    Extension cord thing really doesn't come into play since the spacing remains the same just the number on the circuit.
    If more receptacles are needed for the room they are part of another circuit.
    Just means the larger the home the more breakers are needed.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    continuing on canuks post, more recently the code has switched over that all bedroom outlets must be afci. similar to a gfci but if the breaker senses any extra power draw it trips so this means no more table saws in the bedroom sprucey
    Good point about the table saws. Happens alot in remodeling situations. I see wood butchers cursing all the time when a chop saw arcs off the AFCI.

I'm not sure how many outlets can be put onto a single 15 AMP circuit. That would vary from community to community (for unincorporated areas, county to county). I know in most communities of NW Indiana, washer & gas dryers must on their own 20AMP circuit. Kitchens must have at least 2 20AMP circuits (bigger kitchens may need at least 3 20AMP circuits).

The last house I lived in, the previous owners did a dangerous electrical hookup when an addition was put in. When the addition was put onto the house, the previous owners tapped the single kitchen circuit onto the addition. I only found that out when checking which ciucuits went to each breaker. The house was built in 1950 and the addition was put in between 1973 & 1978. The wiring job wasn't legal back then, as the codes were upgraded in the 70's. Had the house not had work done to it, it would have been grandfathered in.

The kitchen had 2 circuits added, the house had 2 bedrooms, but the original 2 bedrooms each were put on their own 15 AMP circuits (each bedroom had 4 outlets & ceiling fixtures). The living room was on its own 15AMP with 4 or 5 outlets & a ceiling fixture. The bathroom was either on a 15 AMP or 20 AMP. I don't remember. The addition was put on its own circuit (the addition had the dining room, which wasn't in the house before, & a 3rd bedroom) and it was a 20AMP. The addition's electrical use was underutilized most of the time.

The basement originally had the furnace on the same 15 AMP circuit with the rest of the basement. The furnace was put on its own 15AMP circuit. Since I stayed in the basement, I was given a 20AMP circuit to accomodate my computer, TV, VCR, DVD, and the occasional 12AMP vacuum cleaner (which would have tripped the circuit when used on a 15AMP circuit with the electronics). The laundry room had it's own 15 AMP circuit and had 3 outlets & 2 light fixtures (one on the ceiling & one on the wall). The washer/Dryer was originally on a 15AMP circuit, but upgraded to a 20AMP. The garage was originally on a single 20AMP circuit, but 2 20 AMP circuits were put in along with a single 30AMP (120V) circuit, in case my brother wanted to use his 120V arc welder in the garage. So it took a lot of work to get the electrical wiring up to current codes.

My grandmother's house is still wired to 1950 codes. So eventually her house needs to get up to current codes.

You may even have to check with electrical codes to see if you can sell the house as-is later on. Some communities may not let you sell the house unless it's up to current electrical codes.

I will say that for any electrical job, it doesn't hurt to have a dedicated 220V dryer circuit put in. Even if you're not gonna use it, the next owners will like it if they have an electric dryer, and won't have to worry about having to buy a gas dryer. Same thing for having a dedicated electric range outlet.

You would be better off replacing the fuse box with a breaker box. the entrance cable is more than likely #6, and only good for 60 amps. It will have to be replaced also. If you're going to add a dryer, 100 amp should be the minimum, with a #4 copper entrance.