We think our house was built in the early 1920's. All of the walls were done in an early kind of dry wall (3/8" thick) with a brown paper face that is not smooth. All of the walls with the exception of the closets were wallpapered. There are two coats of wallpaper throughout the house. I think the last coat was probably put on in the 1950's, based on the pattern. The second layer comes off somewhat easily but the first layer has bonded with the original paper of the drywall. If I try to remove it, all of the paper comes off down to the gypsum. Some one told me that there is a product that can be put over wallpaper and then painted. Can any one help me? I've already had a quote of $1600 just for one small bedroom from a professional painter!