+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Way too many categories

I'd suggest that you reduce the number of categories to a much more manageable number, like two. Right now there are so many categories that any given question could be posted in three or four or more areas. The poster might miss the person who could answer their question or the poster may post in all categories that he or she thinks might apply.

Go to Cartalk,com and look at their bulletin board. It had only two categories, one to discuss the show and one for car questions. There are no sub categories for type, make, area of question or any of that. Everyone jumps in the same pool, and this is a very active board. I think this board would be a lot better if it was done the same way.

Default Re: Way too many categories

I'm going to modify my suggestion a little, maybe you need three categories.

One for comments and opinions on the show or magazine.

One for questions about anything to do with a house.

One for ongoing projects where someone can post a project they are doing and give frequent updates and others could join in with suggestions or tips they learned when they did a similar project.

Under plumbing, there are 7 possible categories that one could post a question. A plumbing expert that comes here to help may not look in all of them and could miss the question.

Car repair also requires some specialties, but at CarTalk, they all go to the same board, but only open the posts that they think they can offer something too.

I have to agree with Keith.

It is totally frivolous to have many categories.
    It is confusing for DIY or DIY wanna be to post because of multiple categories.

example....look into yard and garden, there is no need for gardening section, lawn care section and yard section....just put everything in one yard and garden section.....same goes for HVAC section.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

So if I'm getting the jist of this after reading a bit, I'm not seeing discussion so much as questions and answers. Seems like most people only pop in to ask their specific question and go. Are they really interested in looking around regardless of how many categories there are? One or 50 I'm not sure it would matter for those people. I think as a question and answer place it's a pretty good set up.

By view counts vs # of posts per thread, there are those who like to read and learn but don't have a question to ask. There's really not a place here for open discussion for the average Joe or Jane to just shoot the home improvement breeze.

To be honest, it's a little intimidating to put your neck out there in such exalted company. Don't get me wrong, I like it plenty and love reading through, I'm just saying I'm not sure if it's a place where people would come to shoot the breeze and feel comfortable as just an interested do it yourselfer. Even though when you read what it's all about, it sounds like it would be.
    Last edited by Hatsephsut; 10-31-2008 at 08:09 PM.

I am a new member also, and yes, I understand what you mean. I would LOVE to discuss my problem, but I guess I will just start a new thread and put it out there and hope for the best.
    Good luck to you also.
    pjay999

Quote Originally Posted by Hatsephsut View Post
    So if I'm getting the jist of this after reading a bit, I'm not seeing discussion so much as questions and answers. Seems like most people only pop in to ask their specific question and go. Are they really interested in looking around regardless of how many categories there are? One or 50 I'm not sure it would matter for those people. I think as a question and answer place it's a pretty good set up.

By view counts vs # of posts per thread, there are those who like to read and learn but don't have a question to ask. There's really not a place here for open discussion for the average Joe or Jane to just shoot the home improvement breeze.

To be honest, it's a little intimidating to put your neck out there in such exalted company. Don't get me wrong, I like it plenty and love reading through, I'm just saying I'm not sure if it's a place where people would come to shoot the breeze and feel comfortable as just an interested do it yourselfer. Even though when you read what it's all about, it sounds like it would be.
    exactly. thing is a few grand pooh-bahs too many around here and they chase most people away really fast. it was a great board when it was first set up then the pooh-bahs and bah-humbugs showed up running up their post counts and being rude to many, destroyed the entire purpose and set up of this board.