+ Reply to Thread

Default okay to put grill on deck?

Hello,
    We have a wood deck in our new house. We are unsure as to the safety of using our charcoal grill, or our gas grill, on the deck. I think I saw someplace about something one could put under the grill, on the deck, so as to protect from fire on the deck. Any ideas? Thank you!

Default Re: okay to put grill on deck?

You should be more concerned about melting your vinyl siding rather than burning your wood deck! I grill on my deck all the time i just have to keep the grill away from the walls and the railings! Happy grilling!

Quote Originally Posted by mandp523 View Post
    Hello,
    We have a wood deck in our new house. We are unsure as to the safety of using our charcoal grill, or our gas grill, on the deck. I think I saw someplace about something one could put under the grill, on the deck, so as to protect from fire on the deck. Any ideas? Thank you!
    Neither a coal or gas grill will pose any problems as long as you excersize a little common sense when using them. Both types of units generate extreme heat, so placing them at least 3' from the wall and at least 5' from any overhead structure. With coal, you're dealing with the removal of a hot lid that can scorch wood if placed directly on it. Either have scrap wood to rest the lid on, or bricks/tile to prevent damage to the deck. With a gas grill, overflow of cooking juices is more of a problem. Keep the grease trap clean and place a drip tray in the bottom of the grill cabinet to catch overflow/ spillage from the grease trap.

It also never hurts to have a garden hose handy while operating either type of grill. A light mist will douse any flare-ups.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mandp523 View Post
    Hello,
    a bit of coal can jump past the ash bin, a spill can also happen.

a fire resistant grill pad could be easily layed they don't weigh much easy to move around regularly and don't cost much and can be found in many shapes and sizes. the grill itself tipping over could happen. you can also make one out of fire resistant tiles (heavy). you can also lay some patio bricks or thick tiles over top to make it more fire-resistant. many local areas require if grilling gas or charcoal on a wood deck and some want it pretty big footprint around the grill itself especially charcoal or wood cooking. if deck attached to structure many have even more rules about proximity to structure - those rules can vary widely from town to town, county to county and state to state. some areas FORBID the use of any cooking or fire appliance on wood decks, period.

finally, most charcoal and gas grills should NOT be used indoors.