+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to remove laminate floor & salvage for re-use

I had 10mm laminate floor installed (floating, no glue down) in my family room. However, I want to remove the entire laminate floor and install it in the formal living room. The quarter rounds have not been put yet. What is the best way to remove the boards without damaging? I am not very experienced, but I think it should be a fairly simple but long job. Please let me know of any proper tools, instructions. Anything I need to watch or be careful about? The installation was just done by snapping the boards together, ie, click click.

Default Re: How to remove laminate floor & salvage for re-use

Click/snap together floors are easy to pull, you just lift the edge board and it will disengage from it's neighbor. Once you break the row loose, you lift the end of each plank to separate it from the chain.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the response. By "edge board", do you refer to 1 single laminate plank? Are you suggesting that I first lift the entire row @ 45 degree, make it loose & then disconnect the individual planks from the row? Sorry, I am a little confused, can you be more specific? Is there a video ******?

Yes, if you lift the entire edge row it will pop free from it's mating row. You may need to lift higher than 45* and you might need to wiggle and pull it apart a little. Once you have the entire row free, you do the same thing to the individual planks to release them from the chain.

If the row is longer than about 16', get a friend to help so that you don't damage the tongues by only having the row partially disengaged and having it fall back flat to the floor. Figure that you're going to loose some planks to damage, so the new location will need to be smaller. If necessary, you can buy a complimentary color and install a border around the room.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Do I follow this process for just the first/edge row of planks or for all of them?