+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia Piedmont
    Posts
    3

    Default Block walls in basement seem to be deteriorating

    I live in a home built in 1950. The cinderblock walls in my basement seem to be deteriorating. There are what appear to be "crystals" that form on the blocks, and they pop the waterproofing paint off of the walls. Eventually, these areas end up "eating" away at the block itself.

    Help!

    I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed.

    I can/will hit the blocks with cement patches to fill in deteriorated areas, and then repaint with a UGL Drylok type of waterproofing paint.

    Is this my only course of action?

    Is there something else I should be doing before my planned fix?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    731

    Default Re: Block walls in basement seem to be deteriorating

    those crystals are salts they are coming up from the block because of moisture coming from the inside of the block or outside and is evaporating off inside your basement. nothing inside is going to stop the process you have to find the source of water or moisture from the outside and fix it first cuz block can soak up water like a sponge.

    i think the word for the salts showing up is efflorescent or somthing that sounds like that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia Piedmont
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Block walls in basement seem to be deteriorating

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    those crystals are salts they are coming up from the block because of moisture coming from the inside of the block or outside and is evaporating off inside your basement. nothing inside is going to stop the process you have to find the source of water or moisture from the outside and fix it first cuz block can soak up water like a sponge.

    i think the word for the salts showing up is efflorescent or somthing that sounds like that.
    Thanks!

    In some way (although, I didn't know about block being spongelike), I feared that was the problem. Funny thing, the walls in question back up to a poured concrete front porch. I will check the joints where that porch touches the brick exterior of the house (directly over wall in question).

    Also, I will look into waterproofing around foundation. I see there is plenty on that elsewhere on the site.

    Once I stop the water, is it ok to patch block w/ concrete patch?


    Sorry, I do alot around the house, but masonry isn't something I have alot of experience with.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    731

    Default Re: Block walls in basement seem to be deteriorating

    well you got to make sure the water is not just stopped but gone like not still in hollow spaces and the concrete is dry first. then you got to remove the salts with some sort of acid cleaner and wash that down. when youre sure thats all done then you patch it or parge it or whatever on the inside let it dry or cure out completely then you can seal or paint it if you have a dry basement after all that effort.

    p.s. you might have to use a patch stuff that has a bond agent in it or paint it on so that what you patch with will stay stuck on.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central Virginia Piedmont
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Block walls in basement seem to be deteriorating

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    well you got to make sure the water is not just stopped but gone like not still in hollow spaces and the concrete is dry first. then you got to remove the salts with some sort of acid cleaner and wash that down. when youre sure thats all done then you patch it or parge it or whatever on the inside let it dry or cure out completely then you can seal or paint it if you have a dry basement after all that effort.

    p.s. you might have to use a patch stuff that has a bond agent in it or paint it on so that what you patch with will stay stuck on.
    Thanks, will do. Have dehumidifier in room and drilled small holes in a few places (at various heights) to allow proper drying inside and out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    731

    Default Re: Block walls in basement seem to be deteriorating

    Quote Originally Posted by jd67 View Post
    Thanks, will do. Have dehumidifier in room and drilled small holes in a few places (at various heights) to allow proper drying inside and out.
    why would you drill holes through your foundation?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •