+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noisy PRV

Default Noisy PRV

Hi,

For the last month or so, my wife and I have noticed a quick "moaning" noise whenver we turn faucets on in our house. The noise only lasts about a second. However, if we turn the water on at a very low level, the noise will occur over a longer period of time.

Someone came to look at it and seemed to think the noise was coming from the water meter. The water department came out and said the noise was from a pressure reducing valve (PRV). I located the PRV in the basement. The water dept. guy told us all we needed to do was loosen the lock nut and turn the bolt connected to the spring back and forth. He seemed to think there was foreign matter in the PRV and this would help remove it.

We tried this and the noise is still happening. Is there something else I should do to clean/repair it? Or do I need a new PRV?

Also - over the same time period (last month or so) we've noticed that occasionally when we turn on the water it will blast out at a high pressure and then taper to normal. This only happens occasionally.

thanks, bouk715

Default Re: Noisy PRV

if i were you i'd get the info marked on your prv and look up the documents on it for maintenance like cleaning a sediment screen, calibrating the settings and stuff. you could post it here to if you want more input. i'd also check the water heating system for set temperature and pressure and check your expansion tank or whatever you have there to bleed off the extra pressure from water heating the hot water cuz that pressure can bleed over to the cold water line and build up when you have a prv or a check valve coming in. water expands when heated and can also release gas both build up the pressure in your plumbing until a faucet or valve is opened.

Chances are your pressure regulating valve has a removable filter or strainer that should be cleaned periodically. That should be the first step.

After doing that ... turn on the water slightly and see if the noise continues.

If so .... with the water turned on slightly .... turn adjusting the screw slowly until noise disappears.
    If it does not and only changes in sound you may have a faulty pressure reducing valve.

One thing to remember .... adjusting the screw changes the pressure and without a gauge you don't know what that pressure will be .... that's why you want to do this slowly with the water running slightly.

Alternatively...... likely you have a shutoff valve prior to and/or after the pressure reducing valve and they are of the washer variety, check them for a bad washer and make sure they are open all the way. If you narrow it down to a water shutoff valve and changing washers does not help replace them with a ball valve.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks canuk and blue ridgeparkway. I will try your suggestions.

canuk...I do have a shut-off valve prior to the PRV.

I had an indirect water heater installed recently, and both these problems came up after it was installed. Could that be a cause?

Quote Originally Posted by bouk715 View Post
    have noticed a quick "moaning" noise whenver we turn faucets on in our house. The noise only lasts about a second. However, if we turn the water on at a very low level, the noise will occur over a longer period of time.

Also - over the same time period (last month or so) we've noticed that occasionally when we turn on the water it will blast out at a high pressure and then taper to normal.

I had an indirect water heater installed recently, and both these problems came up after it was installed. Could that be a cause?
    Ah ... that would be an inportant bit of information.

Start with checking and cleaning out the filter/strainer first.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

i say new prv
    - sean the plumber