+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Cold air through heating ducts

My furnace is located in the basement where it is always cool (around 55)even in summer. The problem is the cold air from the basement comes through the duct work up into the living space. What can I do to prevent the air movement? I thought about building an insulated room around the furnace. What size? How to vent?
    Thank You for any information

I live in Pennsylvania

Default Re: Cold air through heating ducts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1013 View Post
    The problem is the cold air from the basement comes through the duct work up into the living space. What can I do to prevent the air movement?
    Curious ..... can you elaborate as to how cold air is being circulated through the furnace?

I thought about building an insulated room around the furnace. What size? How to vent?
    This idea can be problematic and dangerous .... really shouldn't be considered.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

mabe insulating your duct work and the sill plate of the basement to cut down on drafts is a better choise.

The air is entring through the vents on the furnace and then into the ducts. I figure the air is either moving through natural convection with cold air moving to warm air, or maybe there is some kind of pressure difference.

Thank You

i'd check the chimney and the heat exchanger.

Hmmm ... that is curious. Warm air is less dense than cold air therefore warm air will rise. Cold air being more dense will settle downward and is less likely to flow upward through unasisted convection.
    I would have to think the air must be entering from the cold air supply part of the furnace.

Is this something hat you are experiencin currenly or only during the winter ?

Do you have a fresh air intake line attached to the cold air return at the furnace?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

No there is no intake. This is an on going problem. It was 86 degrees outside today, but inside the house the temp was 72. If I put my hand by the register, I can feel the cold air coming out. I don't understand why the air is traveling the way it is.

Thank you