+ Reply to Thread

Default Aluminum Tape Directly on Dryer Vent Outlet?

My husband and I (mostly him) have spent the better part of the day trying to fix our dryer vent that fell off. We just got a new dryer, and the installer crushed the flexible aluminum pipe so much that he tore a hole in it, so we replaced it, but could not get it to stay on. It's impossible to "crush" the pipe for a tight fit without tearing a hole in it.

So, frustrated, we decided to just take off the clamp entirely and use aluminum tape to seal the joint between the flexible aluminum pipe and the dryer outlet...and also taped the joint between the aluminum pipe and the pipe in the floor that goes into the crawlspace.

I tested it for a few minutes and the tape by the dryer actually seemed cooler to the touch than the flexible pipe between the dryer and the floor...but we are still wondering if this is safe to use this aluminum tape this way.

Any advice or suggestions?

The distance is very tight so the rigid options, while they fit the dryer outlet great, could not be made to reach the pipe in the floor because the space is too small.

Default Re: Aluminum Tape Directly on Dryer Vent Outlet?

I don't know that you'll experience a problem with the tape, other than if you need to remove the duct for cleaning or moving the dryer, then you'll have to cut it because the tape is too sticky to remove and the heat will pretty much weld it in place.

I've never had a problem with dryer duct clamps damaging metal flex duct. It doesn't take a much force to keep things in place. It also helps to extend the duct a little more than what you need so that as you push the dryer back into place it forces the duct on tighter. I would also recommend that you use the new style dryer duct clamp because it's got a thumb screw on it rather than needing a screwdriver or wrench. They're easier and faster.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by karichelle View Post
    My husband and I (mostly him) have spent the better part of the day trying to fix our dryer vent that fell off. We just got a new dryer, and the installer crushed the flexible aluminum pipe so much that he tore a hole in it, so we replaced it, but could not get it to stay on. It's impossible to "crush" the pipe for a tight fit without tearing a hole in it.

So, frustrated, we decided to just take off the clamp entirely and use aluminum tape to seal the joint between the flexible aluminum pipe and the dryer outlet...and also taped the joint between the aluminum pipe and the pipe in the floor that goes into the crawlspace.

I'm trying to visualize this.
    Is the flex duct the same size as the outlet on the back of the dryer and you simply taped the 2 together ? If so that's not an ideal method of connection. While it may work temporarily the connection will eventually fail.
    If the ducting doesn't fit over the dryer outlet then you need a fitting that has one end crimped ( or ribbed ) which reduces that end to allow the duct to fit over --- allowing a better support and the clamp or tape provides a mechanical fastening.

I tested it for a few minutes and the tape by the dryer actually seemed cooler to the touch than the flexible pipe between the dryer and the floor...but we are still wondering if this is safe to use this aluminum tape this way.

Any advice or suggestions?

The distance is very tight so the rigid options, while they fit the dryer outlet great, could not be made to reach the pipe in the floor because the space is too small.
    Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

The dryer outlet itself has the "crimping"...so anything we put over it can't have that or it won't fit. We got a solid pipe that has the joints that you twist around, and it fits on the outlet great, but we can't get it connected to the floor due to lack of space and being at the wrong angle. The biggest problem we are having is that the dryer outlet seems to be more like 3.75" and not a full 4"...the flexible pipe is fit over it and I just taped it to hold it in place and keep it from leaking, because it was leaking around the edges due to not being tight.

The hose clamp basically ends up doing nothing on the flexible pipe, even when it's tightened as far as it will go without crushing the flexible pipe, you can slide it straight off the outlet very easily and it has play where you can wiggle it back and forth...plus it leaks air all the way around.