+ Reply to Thread

Default Spray Foam Insulation for Roof??

I have heard varying opinions on using cell foam on the interior of a roof. I understand that in most cases, there is a better way. However, I have a older home with a second level that was turned from an attic into a living space. There is no insulation at this time in my roof. I also do not have a ridge vent (as my house is from 1925) and no sofit venting to the outside of the house. AKA...absolutely NO ventilation right not! I want to install the cell foam and drywall over to make a cathedral ceiling. But, there are concerns of heat(I was told that this would not keep the heat from the roof out) and moisture that could cause mold.

Is it better to use the cell foam in this instance, or install the ridge vent, sofit vents, and put in those W shaped peices of foam (sorry can't think of their name) for air circulation with some other type of insulation before putting on drywall?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Spray Foam Insulation for Roof??

Which type are you are you considering ..... closed cell or open cell ?

But, there are concerns of heat(I was told that this would not keep the heat from the roof out)
    Not sure what you are meaning here.
    Insulation is rated by it's resistance for heat transfer ... it's R value.
    So , if insulation resists heat loss during the winter it will provide resistance from heat gain in the summer.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Spray Foam Insulation for Roof??

I was thinking closed-cell for the vapor barrier.

And, though I will admit that I don't know much about insulation (other than the basic research I have done), but I thought it was incorrect when a contractor told me that the foam was a bad idea because the rooms upstairs would still get to hot.