+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Noisiest Ceiling Ever - Help!

where in michigan are you from ted? (my home state) and welcome to this board. always willing to hear different sides to the same stories.

also Ted what is it you do for a living in michigan?

Excellent point, and very logical. For broadband sound isolation, you'd build a system with an eye toward low frequency isolation. By definition, we'd have already adequately handles the high frequencies. Low frequencies have a great deal of energy, while high frequencies have less energy. So a robust system that can deal with low frequencies would also deal with high frequencies.

Given that (per the NRC data) fiberglass batts have a slight edge in the low frequencies (over mineral wool, etc) that's the material of choice. And of course it's also the least expensive insulation, so it's an excellent value.

Thank you havanagranite. I've been trying to avoid commer******m on this forum, but since you ask, I'm a soundproofing consultant.

and it would appear that you are working with particular manufactures in mind and thus trying to move their products while trying to dissuade other products.

the only reason I say this is because I have been in commercial construction for close to 30 years and I know which products work. I agree that many dont' know how to correctly install certain products. but is that a slam against the product or the quality of workmanship today? the addage you get what you pay for has long been proven true simply on the basis of people always going with the low bid rather on those who have a proven track record.

I have not recommended the use of any particular product, have I? I'm simply pointing out information that is widely acknowledged in the acoustic industry.

Everything I have said to date is based on extensive third party lab data. Most if not all data is available ******. I'm not presenting opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
    I have not recommended the use of any particular product, have I? I'm simply pointing out information that is widely acknowledged in the acoustic industry.

Everything I have said to date is based on extensive third party lab data. Most if not all data is available ******. I'm not presenting opinions.
    you have made statments but have provided no proof for your assertions

you say widely acknowledged. but that isn't really so. that would be more of a select group not an overall consensus. let the resilient sound clips and hat channel be used for 50 years and then that would be the test of time. usg came up with resilient channel in the 60's and it has been in use and stood the test of time. the same can't be said with these clips.

I would also like to say that if resilient channel had such a high failure rating, UL wouldn't have it spec. for fire rated systems.

have a good evening Ted, Time to walk the Jobsite and call it a nite.

7 stories is a bit to walk.