+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Noisiest Ceiling Ever - Help!

Help!

I live in an apartment where the ceiling creaks/snaps/pops like a 300-year old wooden boat; it is alarming and can wake a person from a dead sleep. You wouldn't believe how noisy it can be. I understand that most solutions are cost prohibitive for the owners but I am wondering if spray foam expanding insulation can be inserted into my ceiling through small holes in the Sheetrock? Would this even help alleviate the issue?

I really love my apartment except for this intolerable noise of my ceiling, which of course, is not the fault of my upstairs co-renter by any means.

Default Re: Noisiest Ceiling Ever - Help!

Move. Or have the ceiling taken down and sound proofing installed and sound proofing drywall installed . Then sleep well.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Move. Or have the ceiling taken down and sound proofing installed and sound proofing drywall installed . Then sleep well.
    Very useful, thank you.

Howdy, you are welcome.

Noisy ceiling fan are caused by uneven alignment of the blades. The best solution is to take it off and have have it repaired by an experienced service man. It usually happens especially if the fan is already old and it is normal to have regular maintenance to ensure our appliances are working fine. Ceiling Fans
    Last edited by Ainzo; 03-03-2010 at 07:54 AM.

It isn't very practical to inject foam. Sound is transmitted either through the air or by vibration through material. Dense packing cellulose in the cavity will most likely reduce the sound considerably. There are a number of sound deadening products you could attach to the underside of the ceiling if you are up to refinishing the ceiling.

Dense packing insulation will allow it to act as a conductor. When speaking of insulation within a stud or joist cavity, we are looking at a medium density (2.4 lbs pcf)

Seems intuitive that dense is better, but it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
    Dense packing insulation will allow it to act as a conductor. When speaking of insulation within a stud or joist cavity, we are looking at a medium density (2.4 lbs pcf)

Seems intuitive that dense is better, but it's not.
    Not quite true.

Sound is composed of different frequencies with each frequency having different energy levels --- lower frequecies have higher energy --- higher frequencies have lower energy. The density and type of material used for sound control determines the effectivness. Sound energy is being transformed into heat energy which is why thermal insulation can be used for sound control.
    Open cell materials like celullose , fiber glass , rock / mineral wool , open cell foam have the advantage since the sound is forced to travel through the various sizes of the open air pockets ---- this attenuates the sound level .
    With increased density increases the resistance to the sound energy --- akin to increasing the distance sound travels ---- which equates to attenuating more sound frequencies.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

What you are describing is insulation when deployed as a surface absorber. In a sealed partition, we are dealing with the cavity resonance and the positioning of the low frequency resonance point. Different physical parameters altogether.

No --- inside the wall cavity there are both components you are dealing with.
    The whole idea is to eliminate the air cavity and increase it's density. Otherwise the empty cavity is a tuned resonate chamber which can actually contribute to noise issues.

Since the insulation is not a rigid material it also acts to dampen the resonace of the framing and wall boards ---- it doesn't totally eliminate sympathic or resonate vibration of the wall structure.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush