+ Reply to Thread

Default Quikrete walkway molds

Has anyone installed a walkway using the Quikrete Walk Maker reusable plastic molds? If so, did the product meet your expectations? Please share your level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction. Thank you.

Default Re: Quikrete walkway molds

For what it is, it's not a bad gadget. I've got one and have made a few walkways around the place. It works perfectly for straight lines, but curves, corners, and anything else are more of a challenge.

When using, you'll want a fairly stiff mix so that you can pour, screed, and remove the form to brush finish the surface. Too wet and the concrete will slump and deform Too hard and you can't beat the rocks down sufficiently to get a good finish. Start by mixing your concrete slightly on the dry side and try a few pockets on the form out. If the concrete works to your satisfaction, continue, if not, add just a touch of water to the mix and try again.

For doing irregular shapes, corners, and such it's easier to precast the pieces, then hand set them in place. You use the form to set the interlocking pattern of the individual pieces, but by hand setting, you can increase/decrease the gaps between the pieces to widen or curve or do anything else necessary to conform to your needs.

Another handy trick is to cast some 1/2 pieces so that you can butt up flush against a straight edge or walkway boarder. With a stiff mix, you case as normal, then when you remove the form, use the edge of a trowel to slice the piece to size. Once it's cured you can handle in any manner you like.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

Something I should add, it's important to keep the mold clean. After ever few castings you should wash the form down and get rid of any concrete residues so that castings are not inclined to stick. Never let concrete dry on the form because it will be very difficult to get off and make future castings more difficult to release from the mold.

Last thing, then I'll leave you alone ...

After you've got the walkway set the way you like it, fill the voids with dirt, sod, or other material so that it is easier to walk on. This is particularly important if you've hand set the stones because the concrete didn't have a chance to "glue" itself to the dirt when you cast it.

I don't understand your last paragraph. Did you place dirt inbetween the mold "rocks" as opposed to a dry mortar that hardens when water is applied?

Correct. I used dirt because I wanted a more natural look to the walkway as well as it makes it easier to remove a few "rocks" if necessary when working in the flowerbeds and such. You could use dirt and cover with grass seed or other hearty greenery that will stand up to foot traffic, or mortar, or just about anything else you want to achieve the affect you're looking for. Keep in mind that the surface of the "rocks" will not be smooth, so grouting with mortar becomes a bit tricky, even if using a dry application and wetting afterwards.

I've got a busy week going, but if I can get to it, I'll take a few pictures of the walkways to show you how they look.

We've got the mould, and made about 6' of it, and decided it really wasn't what we wanted. Looks nice enough, and grass is now growing up between sections, which I just trim down. We've just bought pre-made concrete "stones" to continue, it's much less time consuming, and since we were tinting the concrete for the mold, it's really cheaper.
    I'd give my mould away if I knew someone who wanted it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    We've got the mould, and made about 6' of it, and decided it really wasn't what we wanted. Looks nice enough, and grass is now growing up between sections, which I just trim down. We've just bought pre-made concrete "stones" to continue, it's much less time consuming, and since we were tinting the concrete for the mold, it's really cheaper.
    I'd give my mould away if I knew someone who wanted it . . .
    Which mold is it? I would be very interested? We're located near Fulton, KY...

Faithe

My brother used a sheet of molded "stuff" he found at Lowe's. It is used to put up and looks like stone. But the back is indented. He poured his cement into this mold. When dry he popped out the "stones". He laid out industrial fabric then the "stones" on top. After setting out all he needed, he then surrounded this with forms you can put around flower beds. About 4 inches high. Then he poured cement on this and used a broom to moved this about until all the cracks were filled. It is beautiful. When I go back I will take a photo and add to this mail.

Home_Maker