+ Reply to Thread

Default coffeemaker/radio in same outlet keep coming on at random

i have a GFCI outlet in my kitchen which has an under cabinet radio plugged in to it. also we have also had a coffee maker plugged into the same outlet. On more than one occasion the we have either woken up in the middle of the night or come home to find the radio on, or the coffee maker turned on (and HOT!) when we did not leave either of them on. if it had been one or the other, i would have thought that the appliance may be the problem, but since it has happened with 2 appliances, it leads me to believe that maybe something is wrong with the outlet. does anyone have any thoughts about this???

Default Re: coffeemaker/radio in same outlet keep coming on at random

Try this - unplug the appliance and plug it back in. Does it come on automatically when plugged in? If so, then you are probably dealing with a loose connection at the outlet, causing the power to "blink" occasionaly, and it should be checked and/or replaced. If the appliance remains off when plugged back in, you are likely dealing with some sort of power surge that is causing the circuitry of these appliances to just kick on at random...a surge protector might help this.

If this does not help, and if this is the only outlet that you are having issues with, just replacing it might not be a bad idea.

Do these appliances have a timer function similar to a clock radio .... and are they turning on around midnight ( 12:00 ) ?

It's hard to believe if these devices have an on/off switch they would turn on by themselves unless there is an auto timer function engaged.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Unless the two have been accidentally set on their own timer, there is likely a bad connection and/or bad receptacle. Cheap to replace or fix considering the risk of fire from a loose hot or neutral or burning up the coffeemaker.

I think you have a ghost who likes music and coffee. You might need more than just an electrician to fix this one!

Who you gonna call?
    Seriously, I had an old computer (windows 98) that would just turn itself on in the middle of the night. I checked all settings, schedules, etc., but never figured it out.
    Do you have a cat?
    A lot of good suggestions to try to track down the reason for the appliances being turned on.