+ Reply to Thread

Default When to replace a drum trap

I have a house built around 1953. The bath tub has a drum trap. I have had it snaked once by a plumber and it was a real mess. That was about 2 or 3 years ago. The drain ran fine for a while but now it runs slowly and every month or two I have to use the plunger on it or pour chemicals down the drain, which I would rather not do but sometimes that is all that works. I am wondering if it is a good idea to replace the drum trap with a p-trap and about how much it should cost for a plumber to do the job. How can I be sure it is the trap and not some other problem.

Thanks.

Default Re: When to replace a drum trap

If you were having problems with the sink or toilet it could be another issue down the line but if its just the bath tub the trap is a likely candidate. As far as cost it all depends on how easy it would be for the plumber to get to the trap. If the tub is on the first floor and the basement ceiling is open it should be fairly straight forward. If its on a second floor the ceiling will need to be opened up which adds to the cost. Of course you could save some money by doing the demo and repair to the ceiling yourself.

Mike

Default Re: When to replace a drum trap

Thanks Mike.

No problems with the sink or toilet. The tub is on the second floor, but there is an access panel in the wall directly behind the tub and the trap is right there and accessible.