Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Glidden paint opinions

Spruce,

Thank you for the kind words sir! I likewise bow to your considerable knowledge and contributions to this site.

You're welcome, and thank you.

We should probably turn the topic back to the OP before our loving cohorts tell us to get a room.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Guess I am one of those "few and far betweens" A.Spruce referred to in above comments.
    This is it....the sign of the apocolypse!!! We have found that single knowledgeable HD employee that exists in the universe!!! I was sure there was one somewhere, but like the yehti or bigfoot or loch ness monster, the sightings were never able to be confirmed with actual physical evidence!! Next thing we'll be seeing on the NatGeo channel is film of the chupacabra!!!

I echo Spruce's comments. I make it a point to read the posts of a few of you on here because I know I will either pick up on something I didn't know before or they will be asking a question during the discussion that makes sense and I probably was wondering about also. And they also contribute in a civilized manner. Ordjen you are one of those posters I make it a point to read (as is Spruce).

Bp,

I remember interviewing for my job at HD with the store manager and HR guy. I was told "you are over qualified for Paint". I remember sitting there and wondering what the hell that meant? I was told "we can teach anyone to mix paint". That is probably true, but certainly ignors all the qualities and knowledge a good paint salesman should have. In fairness, I thought after a lifetime around paint I might like to try hardware or millwork, areas with which I am also comfortable. After a few months in these departments, I finally realized I would be happier around that which I knew best - paint.

In fairness to Home Depot, the present CEO is aware of what damage was done to a great company by the former administration.
    There has been a concerted effort to once again try to attract knowledgeable trades people, as was done in the early years of the company. Bob Nardelli, the former CEO, destroyed the service oriented employee morale, and drove away many of the experienced people.

In these difficult economic times, Home Depot has not reduced manpower. Indeed, it has imcreased profit sharing programs and incentive bonuses. It's strategy is to service the customer to death and win back market share, especially from that "other" store.

I am really not that much of an aberation at HD. If you haven't been there lately, give it a try. If you haven't tried Behr and Glidden products lately, give them a try. Paint contractors are creatures of habit. They are comfortable using that which they know. This is understandable, but you might be missing out on some new innovation.

Consumers'Report just came out with its new paint ratings and Behr's new Ultra line has taken first place in multiple categories, including over national brands which sell for significantly more.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...s-overview.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Frankjc,

I looked up "Fresh Tangerines" on the Home Depot paint computer. Unfortunately, you picked a color that covers very poorly. First, it is mixed into a "deep base" paint. Deep base paint has absolutely NO white pigment in it. This is significant because the amount of white pigment in a paint greatly affects the covering ability of that paint. Further, your color has only two colorants, bright yellow and red. Both of these "inorganic" colorants impart very poor covering ability. The "organic" colorants such as raw umber or brown oxide cannot be used. They would increase coverage, but dull the bright orange color.

I can tell you with certainty, that had you gotten this color mixed from any other paint manufacturer, you would have had the same problem with coverage!

I called Glidden today to ask about the proper primer to use. They confirmed that the formula in the computer IS correct. It requires shooting about 1/2 ounce lamp black into white "Gripper" primer. This results in a light gray primer. The logic of using gray as a primer is that gray does not reflect back the light through the paint film as much as does white. Other manufacturers, including Behr, use a fractional formula of the paint color in the primer. Their thought is that this lighter shade of the paint color results in a truer finish color.
    Either way, you are in for multiple coats of the finish color!

I regret the confusion you experienced. Had I been serving you, I would have warned you of what to expect. I really hate facing returning irate customers! I keep a show board which demonstrates a bright red finish coat over white, gray and tinted primer. A picture is worth a thousand words!

I have been working at an Oregon Home Depot store for 5 years. I moved here from Chicago after 50 years of painting and contracting experience there. Not wanting to retire, but not wanting to start the rigors of contracting anew, I ended up at Home Depot. My family has been in the paint contracting business for over 100 years, going back to the ancestral Denmark. Guess I am one of those "few and far betweens" A.Spruce referred to in above comments.

Whereas I certainly knew the practical aspects of paint and its application as a contractor, I probably am much more knowledgeable now than I was then. I have attended many paint seminars given by Home Depots' suppliers and am much more aware of the nuiances of paint chemistry now . Further, Home Depot has many ****** courses for all its associates. Also, hardly a day goes by that I am not on the Internet researching some paint question for a customer or merely for my own edification.

It is from this perspective that I am somewhat sensitive to glaring generalizations, by others who post here, as to the paint products I sell and my fellow associates at Home Depot!

Amen
    The primer that they originally sold me was the "gripper gray", not the gripper white tinted with black. This is a very dark gray primer. I emailed Glidden, and they replied that I should have gotten the primer that you described.
    When I went to the store and complained (I emailed customer service, they never responded, but did send me a survey), the store manager said he was going to call Glidden and see what they recommend. He told me that they checked, and their computer does say to use the "gripper gray" that they gave me, not the tinted white. I think he said it was in the computer wrong. They refunded my money, and gave me 2 gallons of paint, and one gallon of gripper white tinted orange. The color now doesn't look like that samples, but I am going to have to live with it.
    We have a yellow color picked out for the kitchen. I hope I can avoid having a similar problem with that.

I am attatching a not-so-good picture of the label.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paintlabel.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	3245  

Frankjc,

If that yellow you pick for the kitchen is mixed from deep base again, you will have a similar problem. If it is mixed from a full body white paint, Your coverage should be fine, either one or two coats.

Glidden flags the colors that don't cover well when it is entered into the computer. If you see a message scrolling across the bottom of the screen, it is a warning to use a tinted primer.The paint sales person should make you aware of this.

Behr puts a dagger symbol right on the color sample card next to the color name to warn the customer that it will require a primer and probably take several coats.

I always point this out to customers. Nothing worse than facing an irate customer who wasn't warned!

Cool Re: Glidden paint opinions

A quick question folks about matching a so-called custom color Glidden paint from before the great transition. My mother-in-law had most of her house (interior) repainted in 2010, and there was an empty can with the custom color from HD left for us to use to match it (almost pure white). HD and Glidden tell me that the EPA forced them to change their color formulas and that custom colors, even with the formula numbers, aren't transferable to the new color formulas and the best they can do is try to match the empty can I have. Their attempt was way off, and what they are basically telling me is too bad, you'll have to repaint the entire interior. Has anyone else experienced this problem and how have you handled it?

Quote Originally Posted by wmeyer View Post
    HD and Glidden tell me that the EPA forced them to change their color formulas and that custom colors, even with the formula numbers, aren't transferable to the new color formulas and the best they can do is try to match the empty can I have. Their attempt was way off, and what they are basically telling me is too bad, you'll have to repaint the entire interior. Has anyone else experienced this problem and how have you handled it?
    It has been my experience that HD employees couldn't find their behind with both hands, let alone be trusted to match paint with any accuracy. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule, but not many.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Agreed, some of the workers aren't of much help. However, I did telephone Glidden and got the same shrug which surprises me as it reinforces my somewhat negative image of Glidden products. It seems to me a big company would make sure their old formula program transferred to the new program instead of forcing customers to a competing company to find a match. My negative image comes from a project some years ago when I bought some Glidden semi-gloss in a stock color off the shelf, had it shaken, took it home and proceeded to paint a wall. The paint literally ran down the wall and puddled on the baseboard. Manys the wall I have painted and never before nor after has that happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wmeyer View Post
    My negative image comes from a project some years ago when I bought some Glidden semi-gloss in a stock color off the shelf, had it shaken, took it home and proceeded to paint a wall. The paint literally ran down the wall and puddled on the baseboard. Manys the wall I have painted and never before nor after has that happened to me.
    This is exactly why I recommend sticking with quality name brand paint dealers rather than using big box garbage. Kelly Moore, Sherwin Williams, Dunn Edwards, etc., not only make sure their formulas stay true, they've got qualified personnel on site to custom mix a color for you if needed. I have never had issues with color matches from a genuine dealer, but have lost count of the screw-ups from the likes of big box retailers.