Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Glidden paint opinions

I bought some Glidden interior latex paint at Home Depot, and it doesn't seem to cover very well. Anyone else have this experience?

Default Re: Glidden paint opinions

Glidden is bottom of the barrel paint, throw it away and quit shopping at Home Depot. Instead, buy your paint from a bonefied paint dealer such as Kelly Moore, Dunn Edwards, or Sherwin Williams. Quality products make a huge difference in coverage and durability, as will the manner in which they are applied. It is imperative that prime and finish coats be applied as evenly as possible with each coat.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Frankjc,

I might qualify Spruce's reply concerning Glidden paints. Glidden's top of the line paint consistantly scores well on Consumer Reports reviews as well as other independant rating organizations.

I would caution that Glidden, along with all the major manufacturers, manufacturer very good paint as well as really poor paint, the notorious "contractor's crap" which so many new home owners complain about. It is imperitive that you determine what grade you are buying. You can research this ******, or you can ask the sales people at your local paint store. They are well aware of what niche a line of paint fills.

I have always felt that "penny wise and pound foolish" is appropriate when it comes to paint. Why would anyone go through all that physical work and then use cheap paint which gives poor coverage,performance and durablity?

There are many factors which effect coverage. Certain colorants do not give good coverage. Yellows, blue, red, the so called "inorganic" colors, give very poor coverage. The "organic" colorants, such as raw umber, lamp black, brown oxide etc., will give excellant coverage. Thus, pastel pinks and yellows have very poor coverage, while a muddy tan color will cover very well.

Coverage, in and of itself, does not quarantee a quality paint. For instance, that "contractor's crap" hides extremely well because it is loaded with high amounts of cheap, chaulky pigment. Just don't try to wash it! The quality paint will also have a higher percent of pigment, but of expensive titanium oxide.

I would fully concurr with Spruce's advice on the importance of priming and using quality tools. Primer, especially when tinted toward your finsih paint color, will save you time and money. It will result in superior coverage of the paint, impart a nice uniform sheen, seal in most common stains and assure adhesion to slick surfaces. Quality brushes and roller covers also result in a superior finish. If you go to K-Mart and buy a $2.79 painting set, expect a $2.97 paint job!

Thank you.
    I am not sure what grade of paint this is, it is from home depot, the can is green, the paint is tangerine. When I first bought the paint, they sold me the wrong primer, they sold me a dark gray primer. I didn't think this was right, but they insisted that was what the computer recommended. After a few coats, the primer was still showing through. I emailed Glidden, and they said I was given the wrong primer. The store contacted Glidden, and apparently it's in the computer wrong. Glidden recommended now using a tinted primer. The store took care of me with new paint and supplies. I got the good roller covers that Home depot recommended. I am now back at it, 2 coats into it, and it just doesn't seem to cover like it should. I am far from being an expert, but I have painted my share of walls and I have never seen it like this.
    For the next room, I will pay top dollar for everything. I just want it to look good.

Frankjc,

Sorry to hear about your paint problems. I am at a loss to explain what is going on , but if you will e-mail me copies of the labels on the top of those primer and paint cans I will research it for you. I have access to the Home Depot paint computers. The new bar code reading computers normally eliminate human errors, but I think something is not right. A full primer coat and finish coat would normally cover all but the strongest colors. Two finish coats over primer would cover virtually any color!

E-Mail me at: Ordjen@aol.com

I had a long, drawn out explanation of the following comment, but decided that a more direct answer was appropriate. IMHO, a true paint technician professional would have known that the "computer" was in error. I have not had a bad experience at what I term a "bonefied" paint supplier. I have had many problems with the fare from the likes of the average Sprawl Mart mega store. You cannot shop at Home Depot or their ilk without knowing the exact product you are looking for or what will suffice in its place. This is a generalization sure, there are some good folks out there, but they are few and far between.

I agree that the battle you are fighting now has to do with the dark primer. You'll either have to apply several more top coats and settle for what you get, or start over with a stain blocking primer to negate the dark primer and redo the tangerine top coat. I have never had any paint job turn out well that didn't require two applications of top coat. When a primer was necessary, two coats were also required to get a good even finish before the top coats were applied.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I gave up on Home Depot paints many years ago after bad experiences with Glidden and then Behr paints taking 3 and sometimes 4 coats to cover. I now exclusively use Sherwin Williams since they have a local store. I have used their Duration and Pro-Mar paints on many projects and have been very happy. Never had to use more than 2 coats to cover and that is even on some darker shades.

Right now, I have 2 coats of fresh tangerine over a coat of gripper white primer (all done over the first mess), which was tinted with fresh tangerine. It is covering better than it did over the dark primer, but in my opinion not as well as it should have. Looks like coat number three is going on tonight.
    I will see if I can get a picture of the label tonight when I get home. The color is called "fresh tangerine".
    I used Behr to paint the living room, and it seemed to cover better than the Glidden, but again, not as well as I thought it should.

Frankjc,

I looked up "Fresh Tangerines" on the Home Depot paint computer. Unfortunately, you picked a color that covers very poorly. First, it is mixed into a "deep base" paint. Deep base paint has absolutely NO white pigment in it. This is significant because the amount of white pigment in a paint greatly affects the covering ability of that paint. Further, your color has only two colorants, bright yellow and red. Both of these "inorganic" colorants impart very poor covering ability. The "organic" colorants such as raw umber or brown oxide cannot be used. They would increase coverage, but dull the bright orange color.

I can tell you with certainty, that had you gotten this color mixed from any other paint manufacturer, you would have had the same problem with coverage!

I called Glidden today to ask about the proper primer to use. They confirmed that the formula in the computer IS correct. It requires shooting about 1/2 ounce lamp black into white "Gripper" primer. This results in a light gray primer. The logic of using gray as a primer is that gray does not reflect back the light through the paint film as much as does white. Other manufacturers, including Behr, use a fractional formula of the paint color in the primer. Their thought is that this lighter shade of the paint color results in a truer finish color.
    Either way, you are in for multiple coats of the finish color!

I regret the confusion you experienced. Had I been serving you, I would have warned you of what to expect. I really hate facing returning irate customers! I keep a show board which demonstrates a bright red finish coat over white, gray and tinted primer. A picture is worth a thousand words!

I have been working at an Oregon Home Depot store for 5 years. I moved here from Chicago after 50 years of painting and contracting experience there. Not wanting to retire, but not wanting to start the rigors of contracting anew, I ended up at Home Depot. My family has been in the paint contracting business for over 100 years, going back to the ancestral Denmark. Guess I am one of those "few and far betweens" A.Spruce referred to in above comments.

Whereas I certainly knew the practical aspects of paint and its application as a contractor, I probably am much more knowledgeable now than I was then. I have attended many paint seminars given by Home Depots' suppliers and am much more aware of the nuiances of paint chemistry now . Further, Home Depot has many ****** courses for all its associates. Also, hardly a day goes by that I am not on the Internet researching some paint question for a customer or merely for my own edification.

It is from this perspective that I am somewhat sensitive to glaring generalizations, by others who post here, as to the paint products I sell and my fellow associates at Home Depot!

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Guess I am one of those "few and far betweens" A.Spruce referred to in above comments.
    Yes you are, my friend, yes you are. You have gained my deep respect through your very knowledgeable and thoughtful posts throughout the forum. Even without knowing your history it is quite obvious that you are well versed in finish coatings and their proper usage. TOH is lucky to have you here, as are we all.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    It is from this perspective that I am somewhat sensitive to glaring generalizations, by others who post here, as to the paint products I sell and my fellow associates at Home Depot!
    I won't apologize for the generalization, I find Evil Orange a vile place that must be endured. I will apologize to you because you ARE knowledgeable and DO care about your customers, you are absolutely one of the very few and very far between individuals who make a bad experience tolerable.