+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy wet soil under house

my house (built circa 1917) has a partial cellar and the rest crawl space underneath. There has been some water in the cellar, which runs off into the sumpump. However, even in July there has been runoff and each year gets a little worse. I had the city shut off my water for a week, and my cellar dried up. However, I went digging under the house (no water or gas pipes underground), and water appeared 30 sec after digging 2 feet down. There aren't any signs of leaky pipes anywhere, no surface pooling, only 2 feet down. The moisture inside the house in the winter is a major problem, with heavy condensation on the windows that mildew and cause rot. Could the water be leaking from the main supply underground and 'traveling' under the house? I've had 2 plumbers and a city water supervisor look into it and noone knows exactly where the water is coming from. I am happy to receive any suggestions!

Thank You!

Jennifer

Default Re: wet soil under house

I had the city shut off my water for a week, and my cellar dried up.

Could the water be leaking from the main supply underground and 'traveling' under the house?
    Based on your description it certainly sounds like this is the case.

It would seem your water meter must be inside the house ..... otherwise there would have been some large water bills.

It may be leaking outside the home at the point where it enters the cellar ( guessing that's where the line comes in ).

Likely that would be where the digging should start and working toward where it meets the city feed.
    Depending on where you live will determine how deep the water line will be.

Hope this helps and good luck.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush