+ Reply to Thread

Default New remodel towel ring coming undone

I had my bathroom totally remodeled three months ago, the hand towel ring holder was put into plaster and not into a stud. They did use a plastic peg in the hole, but now its beginning to fall out. Any suggestions to keep it in place without having to seal up a hole in my wall, would prefer not to have to move it.

thanks!

Default Re: New remodel towel ring coming undone

Can you post a picture of the towel ring and mounting hardware? A manufacturer's link will do.

Probably the easiest thing to do will be to use toggle bolts to hold the mounting bracket to the wall. If that is not an option, then installing a wood medallion that does attach to a stud would be a good plan. I've done this to a number of both drywall and plaster walls where normal anchors and even toggle bolts have failed and the results look even better than the original installation. The best part is, with the medallion firmly attached to a stud, you'll never have a tear out problem again and there is no holes to repair in the wall because the medallion will cover them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The brandname is Stockton on the towel holder. I've attached a picture. I'm abit confused by the procedures you've described, but thanks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towel holder.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	3230  

Basically, you take a piece of wood and you attach that to the wall, preferably over a stud for secure purchase. The piece of wood will cover the old holes which means no repair of the wall. Install the towel holder on the piece of wood.

Now, the piece of wood or medallion as I called it, would be a decorative thing, the edge would have a shape and profile and would be painted the same color as the wall.

Looking at your towel ring, it uses a typical anchor. That anchor will have either one or two screws into the wall. I'd recommend two if you're having problems with it coming loose. Toggle style bolts will probably suffice in holding the towel ring in place without further loosening or damage to the wall. To install a toggle bolt, you drill a hole that is the same width as the toggle. The toggle is spring loaded and collapses to go through the hole and springs open once into the wall cavity. Tightening the bolt brings the toggle up to the back side of the wall surface, pinching the towel bar anchor in place. The toggle has more surface area and grip than the average plastic insert.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!