+ Reply to Thread

Default Window A/C Used As Dehumidifier?

I have a moderately damp basement that I've used a dehumifier in with decent results. The dehumidifer died this summer so I used the small window A/C which is in my basement shop. It did a good job of removing the moisture and cooled the basement as well so it seems to be a better summer-time solution.

My question is, since a window air conditioner and dehumidifier work on a similar principle, can the window A/C be removed from the window and placed inside the basement and used as a dehumidifier? There may be some frosting issues but a timer might help with that.

Default Re: Window A/C Used As Dehumidifier?

In theory, yes. Would it be practical? No. A dehumidifier has several advantages over your window A/C unit...first and foremost is the condensate tank. This is built into the dehumidifier, but for the window A/C, you would have to rig up some sort of catch pan to collect that condensate water. A window A/C just drips the water onto the ground from the portion of the unit that sticks outside the window...thus removing the humidity from the indoor air and putting it outside. The second disadvantage to using the window A/C is that it does not have a humidistat, where the dehumidifier does. The window A/C would just run all the time, whereas the dehumidifier would shut off when the desired humidity level is reached.

Another thing to consider is that if you use the window A/c with a catch pan, once that pan is full, the unit is not going to sense that and automatically shut off like the dehumidifier will. Forget about emptying thap drip pan once, and you've got yourself a big mess.

My advice, save yourself the trouble and spent the $$ on a new dehumidifier.

I already have a drain system set up for my dehumidifier that I can easily modify to accommodate the air conditioner. If I use a timer to turn it on and off, will it conceptually perform the same. I'd hate to drop another $200 for a dehumidifier.

Yes, it would basically do the same thing.