+ Reply to Thread

Default Closet in Victorian House

Hi,
    We have just bought a Victorian house. And, there is 1 closet! So, I am wondering about adding at least 1 closet. Is there a certain way that I should do this? I want to keep with the Victorian style of the house. Thank you!

Default Re: Closet in Victorian House

Generally you just build a new wall match the woodwork, trim, and hardware.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Adding to JLM's post, if the room has baseboard, chair rail, picture rail, or crown, you can remove it from the area where the closet will be installed and usually have enough to reinstall it on the outside of the closet. The interior of the closet can have "matched" mouldings and not show if they are slightly off.

Thank you for your help!

Decades ago, my grandparents took an unused back staircase and made three closets out of it. Their Queen Anne has almost more closets than the rest of the town combined.

Hello,
    That was ingenious! However, the original back staircase is gone. The upstairs entrance is now a 1/2 bath, and downstairs is an alcove with a love seat in it. However, if we get desperate, we could turn the downstairs into a closet. Thank you for your idea!

I like the idea of closets built in like cabinetry. This would be a built-in, finished like the rest of the house. I recently installed a corner china cupboard. I removed the baseboard, installed the piece, then reinstalled the baseboard for a unified look. A crown moulding finished the look. Painted to match the woodwork, everyone thinks it's original. You might be able to find a simple new or used piece that you can install and finish.

Or you could always get a wardrobe.

Along the lines already suggested...

You could put in a wall all the way across the room, giving up about 36-40" of room space, and have a great closet. Additionally, you could build in a set of dresser drawers in that space that would eliminate the need for space required to put an actual dresser in the room. You'd get hanging space as well as drawer space in the new closet.

Good Luck.