+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumpin pipes

Question Thumpin pipes

We just moved in to our wonderful 1927 Foursquare and of all the issues I have found, this one is by far the most vocal is this thundering thumping the hot water pipe @ the kitchen sinkdoes.I have read discriptions of hammering; I dont believe that tis is it, but will let you experts diagnose for me.
    First off the sink is orginal with 3 faucet handles.I ahve included a pic. Not sure what the third one is for, it is under the other two in the middle. This thumping starts after the hot water is turned and and gets hot, it will sputter water even and scream and squeel, then as you turn the handle back, it may or may not stop.Off is off though and does not make any noise once the valve is closed.
    The young man at Lowe's suggested I screw off the cap at the end of the spigot clean out the screen(no screen)then turn off the valve below the sink, drain the water from the line then turn the water back on. I did this yesterday, I dont believe I saw much, if any of a change.
    This is the only place it happens, not in bathroom or down in the basement, just at the kitchen sink.
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitfaucet.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	3220  

Default Re: Thumpin pipes

That third valve looks like it was for a hose spray at one time, that has been caped. That is more then likely your source of the thumping.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    That third valve looks like it was for a hose spray at one time, that has been caped. That is more then likely your source of the thumping.

John
    Okay, can you purchace a sprayer for a faucet that old? My husband would like to upgrade the sink, faucet and all, but I rather like it.
    Last edited by Susan59; 02-23-2010 at 03:38 PM.

It's possible that third faucet could be to a spray hose somewhere, but then there should also be a visible cap either at the faucet or near the sink in the wall. That cap will likely be a standard garden hose thread, hard to say with such old devices, particularly if they've been abandoned. If this is the source of the hum/hammer, then you can test this theory by giving that third handle a twist and see if the sound changes or goes away. If this happens, then it's time to replace the seat washer, which is either very warn, disintegrating, or loose.

That third valve could also be a "fixed" temperature valve. The hot/cold would be set to the desired temp, then the third valve would turn the water on/off without changing the temp. Makes for easy one handed control.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It's possible that third faucet could be to a spray hose somewhere, but then there should also be a visible cap either at the faucet or near the sink in the wall. That cap will likely be a standard garden hose thread, hard to say with such old devices, particularly if they've been abandoned. If this is the source of the hum/hammer, then you can test this theory by giving that third handle a twist and see if the sound changes or goes away. If this happens, then it's time to replace the seat washer, which is either very warn, disintegrating, or loose.

That third valve could also be a "fixed" temperature valve. The hot/cold would be set to the desired temp, then the third valve would turn the water on/off without changing the temp. Makes for easy one handed control.
    I don't think it's a temperature valve, there is a third opening that go's back through the sink. That could be a problem as far as replacing it.

John

I am going to post another pic ,perhaps this will help show excatly how the faucet is constructed.

I have tried twisting that third handle,I think sometimes it helps or that may just be my imagination..lol for sure there is no where to set a sprayer down, and you are correct, there seems to appear three distinct holes.

Where would this seat washer be located? My husband was thinking it could be in the hot water valve on the faucet.

Crawling under the sink and looking up behind it, there is what looks like a pipe coming out of the back of the sink, but it is solid not an open pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitfaucet2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	3221  
    Last edited by Susan59; 02-23-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: added info

Seat washers are what seals the supply shut when the valve is closed. The washer is located on the end of the stem opposite the handle, each handle would have it's own seat washer.

To service seat washers, first go to the hardware store and get a package of assorted seat washers. You want the assortment pack because you don't know which of the common sizes you'll need.

Turn off the angle stops under the sink. If you do not have those or they do not shut off tight, then turn off the water at the main where it enters the house from the street or well. Once the water is off, open the faucet valve to release the pressure within the line, then remove the handle. The big hex shaped thing under the handle is a stem nut. This nut must be removed, the stem will either come out with it or the stem will be unscrewed out of the valve body once the stem nut is removed. With the stem in your hand, you'll be able to see the seat washer on the end of it, usually held in place by a screw. Remove the screw to change the washer.

This is sort of the tricky part ... You must now match up the worn, mashed washer with a new one from the washer pack. Usually, it is a cone washer, sometimes they are flat. Once the washers have been replaced and the valves reassembled, turn on the water supply and check for leaks and proper function.

Always work slow and careful to avoid damaging anything. NEVER force anything, that is the surest way to break something. If you don't feel comfortable with this repair, call a professional to do it for you. Keep in mind that the best case scenario is that the washers are easily changed and the problem solved. The worst case scenario is that you'll have to replace the faucet. Always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Third handle reminds me of a faucet my grandmother once had, a temporary shut-off. If you were doing dishes, for instance, you could turn off the water there without messing with your hot/cold mix.

I believe A. Spruce is on the mark, and that faucet may have 3. The washers may be coming apart and fluttering in the flow. Replace as he describes.

*** I sure appreciate all the information. Today is husbands day off so we are going to run to the hardware store and pick up that multi pack. Thanks again for the information.
    Have a wonderful day.

You're welcome. Report back with your progress.