+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I Repair Cement "grout" around Stone Patio?

We have a large stone patio surrounding a gunnite pool and the cement (not grout) surrounding the stones has cracked and / or completely broken away in areas. How can I repair or replace the missing cement? The stones are solid and it is basically a cosmetic improvement not a structural defect. My wife is positive that this is beyond a homeowners capability - Please help me prove her wrong!

Default Re: How do I Repair Cement "grout" around Stone Patio?

I dont think this project is beyond your repair capabilities! All that you will need is a small masonary chisel and some mortar mix that will match as close as possible! I would use an icing bag for re grouting! All that you will need to do is chisel out the old grout and clean the joint with a vacume! Then you will take the icing bag full of mortar mix and put back what you took out and smooth it out or what ever you need to do to get it to match! If you have any questions please ask again!
    Good luck have fun! You can do it!

Wink Re: How do I Repair Cement "grout" around Stone Patio?

Elijah is correct, you can do this project yourself. Go to a cement supply house and get mortar mix. Take some of the old mortar with you, you might need to match the new mortar by adding color to it, unless you are doing all the mortar then it will all be the same color. The supply house will have the other tools you will need also. A mortar bag, tucking or striking tool. Apply the mortar into the joints with the bag and work the joints with the striking tool to give the joints a finished look. Make sure your joints are free of any loose mortar before you start. good luck

calcats

Question Re: How do I Repair Cement "grout" around Stone Patio?

Quote Originally Posted by calcats View Post
    Elijah is correct, you can do this project yourself. Go to a cement supply house and get mortar mix. Take some of the old mortar with you, you might need to match the new mortar by adding color to it, unless you are doing all the mortar then it will all be the same color. The supply house will have the other tools you will need also. A mortar bag, tucking or striking tool. Apply the mortar into the joints with the bag and work the joints with the striking tool to give the joints a finished look. Make sure your joints are free of any loose mortar before you start. good luck

calcats
    The original builder of my brick patio brushed in a sand/mortar mixture to fill between the bricks. I washed out some of the mortar/sand mixture removing moss that was growning there. I would like to brush in a mortar/sand mixture like he did but I want it to look right and I want to know the correct proportion of sand to mortar. Is this unrealistic?
    BarBeeCue