+ Reply to Thread

Wink Wall Switch to Turn on Gas Fireplace

Hi. Newbie here.

I have a gas fireplace that is turned on by a wall switch. I would like to change this switch for a brown one. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the juice to that switch? I've tripped all the breaker switches and even during a power outage this switch still lights the fire place.

Thanks for you help in this.

Default Re: Wall Switch to Turn on Gas Fireplace

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    Hi. Newbie here.

I have a gas fireplace that is turned on by a wall switch. I would like to change this switch for a brown one. Can anyone tell me how to turn off the juice to that switch? I've tripped all the breaker switches and even during a power outage this switch still lights the fire place.

Thanks for you help in this.
    From your description I would suspect your fireplace has a standing pilot light in which case it doesn't use household electricity for the flame.
    These types use millivolt systems that have no outside power at all except what is provided by a pilot light that is always on ...... uses a device that produces enough electricity off the pilot heat for the millivolt switches.

If you follow the fireplace instructions to shut off the gas valve this will eliminate the power to the switch.

Hope this helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Smile Re: Wall Switch to Turn on Gas Fireplace

Thanks, Canuk.

I'll dig out the operating manual for the fireplace and see if it says something about a "standing" pilot light.

Arrow Re: Wall Switch to Turn on Gas Fireplace

This was helpful as I have a similar set up and was thinking about the same project of changing the switch.

This will save me time and confusion later.

Allison
    http://www.novapros.com

Default Re: Wall Switch to Turn on Gas Fireplace

If you turn off the main breaker to your house, and you can still turn on the fireplace, then it's a millivolt system where the pilot light heats a thermocouple that generates a few thosandths of a volt. This electricity, when the switch is on, operates a gas valve to turn the burner on or off. This design is used so that you can heat your house with the fireplace when the power is out.

The good news is that the voltage is so low -- less than a AA battery -- you can change out the switch without turning anything off.

But if you're paranoid, just shut off the gas to the fireplace and wait for it to cool off. After you replace the switch and turn gas back on, you'll have to relight the pilot using the instructions which are usually permanently imprinted near the control valve under the fireplace.

Thumbs up Good

Thanks for the info,that is really help.