+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy GFCI Outlet problem

I'm having trouble with a GFCI that is outside and by a lake. The old one got tripped somehow and would not reset so I went to replace it with a new one. I got it wired in, black wire to **** screw and white wire to silver screw and the ground to the green gound screw. Turned the power on to it and got nothing. The outlet would not trip to test or reset. I tried a another outlet thinking maybe that one was bad and got the same problem. This outlet has a amber light on it and the other night I was down by the lake and saw the amber light was on even though the power to that outlet was off. There is also a light that runs through the outlet, to protect it, and when I wire it direct to the light, bypassing the outlet, the light works fine.

Any ideas would great! Thanks!

Default Re: GFCI Outlet problem

Are you wiring it correctly? On a gfci outlet thre is a feed side and a load side. You must wire it to the load side then if you have other outlet they go on the feed.

Get a GFCI tester, plug it into the outlet, and see what it reports.

It may be possible that the wiring has degraded within its' sheathing (or the pipe it is laid in), so you might have to run new wire to the location (or from the light to the outlet location).
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sadtad View Post
    Are you wiring it correctly? On a gfci outlet thre is a feed side and a load side. You must wire it to the load side then if you have other outlet they go on the feed.
    The feed wires to this outlet that originate at the house (from another outlet or, preferably, a circuit breaker) need to be connected to the LINE terminals (black to ****, white to silver, green or bare to ground screw). If other outlets are fed downstream from the outlet in question, the feed wire to the downstream outlets would connect to the LOAD terminals.

I agree that you may have a problem in your feed line. GFCI testers are not infallible but they will give you an idea of what you have at the outlet. For a better check, use a meter and check the feed wires.

JimC

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    The feed wires to this outlet that originate at the house (from another outlet or, preferably, a circuit breaker) need to be connected to the LINE terminals (black to ****, white to silver, green or bare to ground screw). If other outlets are fed downstream from the outlet in question, the feed wire to the downstream outlets would connect to the LOAD terminals.

I agree that you may have a problem in your feed line. GFCI testers are not infallible but they will give you an idea of what you have at the outlet. For a better check, use a meter and check the feed wires.

JimC
    To add to JimC's comment about testers...you mentioned in your orginal post that the GFCI outlet had an amber light on it. This basically means you have an outlet with a simple built-in tester. Usually, a ight means the outlet is "tripped" (ie circuit broken) and no light means everything is OK.

So, do as JimC writes and get the outlet out of your testing procedure and test just the feed wires.

Jimc, the wire feeding the GFCI may have leakage but have not tripped the breaker back at your electric source.

But, the leakage from wiring and appliances being feed from your GFCI are all adding up and may prevent your new GFCI from resetting.

Try turning off all the lights and unplug anything being protected by the GFCI. If the problem persists you will have to test each portion of the circuit to determine what the culprit is.

Also, new Code requires GFCI's in "wet" locations be "WR" meaning they are "weather resistant" & will resist rust and high humidity. If exposed to rain they must also be in a weather tight box and have an "in-use" cover, which allows cords to be plugged in with the cover closed.

*** , talk about reviving an old thread . I'm pretty sure he figured it out by now .

Oops, time flies when you're having fun:

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com