+ Reply to Thread

Default Uneven Floor Levels

Hi all,

My family is moving into an old house, built in the 1930's. It is a cape style house, which is common in this area. Anyway, the room I am staying in is built directly over the garage. My guess is that the house was built first, then the garage, then the room over the garage, since there is a place in a corner of the room where the exterior of the fireplace is visible and also part of the siding.

Anyway, the room at one corner is about ~2 CM lower than the rest of the room, which is generally uneven. If you look at the garage and the room from outside, the garage's concrete face is even while the siding above it ( my room ) is sloped downwards noticeably.

I'm guessing the only way to fix this is to rip up the existing hardwood floor and place shims in the sleepers and subfloor.

What I am asking is, is there any chance of the floor sagging even more? What should I do about it then?

Thank you.

Default Re: Uneven Floor Levels

My guess is that the house was built first, then the garage, then the room over the garage, since there is a place in a corner of the room where the exterior of the fireplace is visible and also part of the siding.
    Curious if the corner in question is around the area of the fireplace?

Also ... since this room sits on top of the garage it may be possible the garage foundation may have settled in that corner.

Depending on how this room was constructed as well as the construction of the garage to support this room would have some affect on things.

It's hard to tell from here sight unseen.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Would some pictures help?

Picture are always helpful and welcomed.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

can you jack up the beam in the garage under the floor??? I did that to mine!

sorry for not uploading the pictures right away. The camera is being a bit fussy and I will try to get some tomorrow!