+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Rain Barrel- Solid Concrete Blocks?

I am in the process of building a Rain Barrel system. I watched a video on This Old House regarding Rain Barrels where it was mentioned to put the barrels on 3-solid concrete blocks. I went to Menards and they don't know what the blocks look like. I don't know what they look either. Got any ideas? When full, the 55 gal. barrels will weigh approximately 450 lbs.

Default Re: Rain Barrel- Solid Concrete Blocks?

This is actually as simple as it sounds. What is needed is a platform to get the barrel off the ground & high enough that #1 you can tap it at its lowest point & #2 that the water in the tank is higher than the area in the yard you want to water. For this, you can use blocks, bricks, rocks, adobe - anything that will not break under load (plastic storage crates from the dollar store are not an option) Personally, I would buy 3 8"x8"x8" & 3 16"x8"x8" cinder blocks, placing the bigger ones radiating out from a central point, like a 3-tipped star. On top, I would put the 3 smaller ones, making 16" in total height. Then I would take plywood, cut out a hole where the spigot would be on the bottom of the barrel & put the plywood on the blocks & the barrel on the plywood. I have not seen the article, but I assume the spigot will be on the underside of the barrel, not on the side, which could prevent it from draining completely.

Default Re: Rain Barrel- Solid Concrete Blocks?

Thaxman,
    Thank you for your advice. You are right as the hole will be located on the bottom and close to the side. I'll do what you suggest. I was wondering about the cement blocks wearing on the plastic. I like your idea and will let you know how this works out. I'll get a plumber to use a plumbers pipe tap to create a thread and then use a male threaded connector and elbow. I'll use PVC as I've read that mixing plastic and metal tends to create leaks. I like to make things complicated. I'm looking for the best way to do this so that the rain barrels last. I found a free source for my rain barrels. Thanks again for your help.