+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smelly Basement

Default Smelly Basement

My basement smells all the time and I am trying to find an actual solution that will work. The basement is finished with a walkout with two windows, a suspended ceiling and concrete floor. The ceiling tiles I am going to replace since they are old and are sagging. And I want to paint the floor with an epoxy basement sealing paint. But I am not confident that either will 100% get rid of the smell. I am going to get a dehumidifier this weekend and see if that starts to help.

Default Re: Smelly Basement

What does your basement smell like? I run a dehumidifier all the time and mine still smells like "musty old basement" to me. If there is something you can do, I'd be curious to find out as well!
    Read about my old house: Hidden Content

It just smells musty. My wife could care less but if I am going to be down there for an extened period of time I don't want to smell anything.

The musty smell generally originates from a high humidity level in the basement.
    A dehumidifier is a good start to reduce the moisture level though the odor will be imbedded into whatever is in the basement. Fabrics from carpet and furniture along with paper products will retain this odor which makes it difficult to fully remove the musty smell.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush