+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default refinishing pine floors

My wife and I live in an 1899 Victorian.
    We got the wild hair yesterday to refinish the floors in our formal living room. The floors are pine, and showed considerable wear, they had been painted to add to our pain. We had been told by one guy that it couldn't be done, and another said he could do it, but we could never get him to come do it.

So, we rented a drum sander, edger, and went to it. The The floors now look great. They sanded very well, and the little paint left in the the details actually add nice character. They have great grains and lots of color. So, to the cleaning and finishing.

What should we do for the finish? Stain them? Poly them clear?
    We really don't know where to go from here?

Default Re: refinishing pine floors

Really need help on what products to use at this point.
    Anyone?

Still stuck at this point waiting on the weather to get warm enough to continue.
    Any help appreciated.

Hey, your floors look great! We too have pine floors which we finished from the natural wood with just a satin poly(we did not want a shiny finish), however, this being done approx 8 yrs. ago when they were new, they are now in need of refinishing. Pine is SO soft and I have 3 dogs living on them, so I got a tip from a Sherwin Williams store manager. He said for my finish to last longer, first use the gloss poly, apparently it is more durable, and then go over with at least 2 - 3 coats of satin finish. Hope this was of some help, I wish my floors were at the stage yours are, I really dread it!!! And I would love to see your results!

Hi,
    I finished my kitchen floor with Waterlox, a penetrating tung oil/varnish.
    Before:

After:

In my bedrooms, I have been using shellac; it was the original finish, can put on 4 coats in a day.
    Waterlox is the harder, more waterproof finish so that's why I chose it for the kitchen. The downside is the smell, which is terrible, and it can't be walked on for a week after the last coat.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Teula2

You are not done yet. I see a lot of finish still left on the floors. The darker areas are actually slightly depressed areas not visible to the naked eye on an unsanded floor. When you sand the floors the depressed areas don't get sanded and will not take a stain. It is tedious but if your floor sander can not get all of these areas you will have to finish it off with a belt sander on your hands and knees. It is a lot faster then trying to sand down the higher boards to the level of the depressed boards. I have sanded plenty of our apartments in our 20 unit apartment building built in 1913 and I run into this problem all the time both on the hardwood and the pine. Before your stain the pine used a pine floor conditioner available at any big home store. It will allow the pine to take the stain evenly.

Use a Random Orbital sander with 120 grit to clean up the low spots to prepare it for the finish. Vacuum several times to remove as much dust as possible. Damp wipe down clear water to get a feel for what the finished look will be.

I would use oil base poly, my preferred brand is OldMasters because of its excellent self leveling characteristics and hard finish.

I would not stain, pine will darken naturally in time. Wipe down with a tack cloth to remove remaining dust. First coat, thin poly 25% and apply as a rubbed on coat that will help push the poly down into the grain of the wood for more durability. Then apply 3 coats of brush on. For a clearer finish apply 2 coats of high gloss followed by one coat of semi gloss. Semi gloss will look pretty mush like satin but is a little harder.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Gotta ask if you are planning to strip paint from the trim in that room ---- noticed the test strip on the door in the first picture.

If so --- then wait to finish the floor until you've done any other work in that room.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Gotta ask if you are planning to strip paint from the trim in that room ---- noticed the test strip on the door in the first picture.

If so --- then wait to finish the floor until you've done any other work in that room.
    We are currently painting the room and stripping the fireplace. The floor is taped off with plastic sheets as not to get anything on the floor. We will be finished with the paint before we get to the floor.

We are looking at going with a satin finish and thinking about latex for the smell factor, but we are open to suggestions (hence the post). Because it is pine, should we use the poly since it is harder? There is a 85lb dog in the equation and this will be "her" room during the day while we are at work.
    Thanks for the replies.

A random orbital hand sander with 120 grit would take way too long - like a week. I've done this for 13 years. A belt sander with a rough grit like 20 to 50 grit will get it done in a days worth of work. Then use a finer grit like 80 grit to finish it off - no need to go to a 120 grit. We have always stained our pine floors. Yes oil based poly will darken over time but if you want your floors to have a custom look stain it first. Forget about a brush - too long and tedious. There are special pads made for poly. You screw it on the end of a painting pole and stand while you are doing the work.