+ Reply to Thread

Default Tyvek or Plastic?

I am using un crafted insulation in my walls. Our Building Inspector here in VA told me to use Tyvek instead of plastic on the inside of my home as the vapor barrier. I am getting mixed thoughts on this. Any ideas?

Default Re: Tyvek or Plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by farmvillebill View Post
    I am using un crafted insulation in my walls. Our Building Inspector here in VA told me to use Tyvek instead of plastic on the inside of my home as the vapor barrier. I am getting mixed thoughts on this. Any ideas?
    If the inspector had said " use Tyvek instead of plastic as the vapor barrier " that inspector needs to go back to his reference books.
    House wrap such as Tyvek , Typar or similar are not vapour barriers they are air barriers and a liquid water shield that's used on the exterior of the home under the siding. These house wrap materials are engineered to allow vapour to pass through in the event moisture gets in behind them.

Perhaps he's of the thinking of allowing the walls to " breathe " to inside however it's a waste of material and money to use the house wrap on the interior.

By applying a vapour retarder latex paint or at least 2 coats of oil paint will act as a vapour retarder layer on the walls to slow diffusion. The main issue would be to ensure all penetrations in the walls form things like electrical boxes are sealed air tight. The majority of vapour issues are from air infiltration more so than diffusion.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Tyvek or Plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    maybe its do to the climate canunk, in the southern states apparently vapor barrier goes on the outside of the wall as its the warm side and tyvek on inside as its the cooler side

unless the inspector is lionhearted who hangs drywall with a air stapler and fills the seams with white silicone.......
    Not that I know of.
    But crossing the Mason-Dixon Line, anything is possible.

Default Tyvek or Plastic

I like metal- only because I think it handles the hot water better- and I think its more durable. Although I know they are selling a lot of plastic pipes too. I dont have them- so Im not sure how good they are.