+ Reply to Thread

Default Siding Question/Help

My spouse and I are building a new home in rural ND designed to look like a 1906 farmhouse (based on my grandparents farmhouse.)

In an effort to reduce costs, we are considering using hardi-plank on the front of the home and ______ on the sides and back. I say blank because we can not determine if vinyl, steel, seamless, etc. would work.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions for us? The sales person at the local building supply store said this is done often, but I look at a LOT of houses and I've never seen it...

Can you help us?

Default Re: Siding Question/Help

Either do the whole thing in vinyl or the whole thing in Hardi. I have never seen vinyl imitation lap siding mixed with hardiplank. People mix brick fronts with vinyl elsewhere, but that's even rightly frowned upon.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Often times back in the olden days (some people on here might remember the olden days LOL) people would put clap boards on the front of the house and shingles on the other three sides. This was a cost savings measure since claps at the time were more expensive. This is a good look and in some areas would be historically accurate. However in your case I don't think the option of two different types of siding would look good if one is Hardi Board and the other is vinyl. Check on prices to see how much it will cost. I know the doing the whole house in Hardi board will be more but it might not be to much more depending on the size of the house. If this is going to be a house you are going to own for a long time and it sounds like it is the extra investment will be worth it.

Mike

I would go with vinyl, all over. A good quality vinyl siding will outlast you, and maybe the only maintenance is an occasional pressure washing (or even washing with a strong spray on a hose). No paint, no rot, great assortments of colors, etc.

The real disadvantage I see is that with vinyl once you have chosen a color that is what you have chosen and there really is no changing it.

My two cents.

GOOD LUCK!!

Hmmm --- vinyl siding in North Dakota will not look so nice during the winter. It will contract a fair bit and look wavy and will be noisey from expanding and contraction.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your replies...we were mostly curious because a builder had suggested using hardi and steel, and we were a little doubtful.

We won't to vinyl in ND - especially in rural ND! With 15 wide open acres, a "typical" windy day would wreak havoc on vinyl siding. Despite what anyone in the contracting/construction market here says, vinyl just doesn't look good after a few years because of the climate change.

That said - does anyone know of steel siding companies that make an irregular clapboard product? We like the look of lap/plank on the house, but clapboard on the peaks.

I should clarify -

If steel siding companies make a clap - like product, perhaps we'll use that...but we love the look of hardi - just checking out our options.

Mike - I agree with your comment - this is going to be our 20+ year house, until the kiddos are graduated and through college, so spread over that time frame, the cost of hardi would be worth the investment!

(On a different note) I am shocked at the number of builders in our area insist on making this a contemporary looking home. Ugh. They all want to add insets, and entertainment coves, etc. I don't get why they don't understand this is supposed to look like an old house!

Quote Originally Posted by ndfarmhouse View Post
    I should clarify -

If steel siding companies make a clap - like product, perhaps we'll use that...but we love the look of hardi - just checking out our options.

Mike - I agree with your comment - this is going to be our 20+ year house, until the kiddos are graduated and through college, so spread over that time frame, the cost of hardi would be worth the investment!

(On a different note) I am shocked at the number of builders in our area insist on making this a contemporary looking home. Ugh. They all want to add insets, and entertainment coves, etc. I don't get why they don't understand this is supposed to look like an old house!
    Couldn't agree more --- unfortunately the builders cater to whatever the flavor of the month that everyone wants instead of having an open mind. Just like the trend of mounting the flat screen above fireplaces
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

good replies thanks to share

as far as i know steel siding is pretty much dead, the only time i see it going on is large warehouses and its corrugated steel installed vertically. youd really have to shop around and talk to wholesalers or the local lumberyards to check their catalogues to see what they can come up with

harti all the way though
    fire up the saw and make some dust