+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Ceiling Tiles

Hello,
    I have an old house (1910 probably) with two bedrooms that have dropped ceilings. These tiles are 1x2, with a v-groove cut down the middle to make them look like 1x1 tiles. I believe they are held up by staples or tacks on the back, secured to 2x4s on the flat. I believe that above these tiles is an old, likely failing plaster ceiling. Obviously, these bedrooms need new ceilings. My first concern is asbestos. Is there a particular kind of tile that contained it - textured perhaps? These tiles do not have a sprayed on texture - these are the kind that I've seen in many old houses in New England that have had the misfortune of having crummy work done to them over the decades. I've been told by a plumber who did some work here that they are not asbestos - but I realize that he is a plumber and not an asbestos expert. My neighbors next door had a similar condition and their contractor took the tiles down without giving it a second thought. It is not my intention however to make a quick & misguided decision, only to find out later that I've made a big mistake.
    Thank you

Default Re: Old Ceiling Tiles

Depending on the age of those tiles it's possible they may contain asbestos.
    If in doubt have them tested---- better safe than sorry.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Old Ceiling Tiles

Had them tested - no asbestos! You were right - having them tested and knowing for sure makes me feel so much better.