+ Reply to Thread

Default large hole in vinyl flooring

I have a small house with vinyl flooring in the living room. I do almost all of my TV viewing and office work while sitting in an office chair with wheels. Over the years the wheels have worn the vinyl thin and now there is a hole in the vinyl that is about 3 square feet. The pattern is not going to be matchable and I have chosen to repair it with a completely different pattern of peel and stick vinyl squares. I have never done this before and my biggest worry is knowing how far out to cut. I am worried that after I put down the new tiles that they will be thicker than the existing vinyl and I will have a ledge.
    I would like to replace the whole floor, but this is not possible due to the amount of stuff that would have to be moved.
    I need some advice on how to repair this worn spot. I am not committed to the peel and stick tiles, so any advice is good.
    Thank you,
    Matt

Default Re: large hole in vinyl flooring

There's only one way to know if the peel and stick tiles will be thicker or not and that is to cut out a piece of the existing vinyl and match the thickness against the tile. Another route would be not to worry about it at all. While a ridge isn't exactly aesthetic, neither will an island of P&S tiles in the middle of the room. No patch is going to look good, but you can change what you're doing from a blatant patch to more of a "designer" look. How about installing a patch of Pergo under the desk area? It should hold up to the chair pretty well, and it can be trimmed out on all sides with a reducer to transition it back to the vinyl floor. This would look much better than P&S tiles and you wouldn't have to tear out the vinyl to do it.

If using a Pergo or Pergo-like product, don't bother with the vapor barrier or padding under the material, it isn't necessary in this instance.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!