+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Electrical Panel sabotage

I purchased a foreclosure that the previous owners took out some aggression on. They cut sections of all of the romex leaving the panel. I counted 8 circuits that need to be spliced. The panel is mounted on a finished wall and I only have about 2 inches of wire protruding. My thought is to remove some drywall around the area to expose 8 inches or so of romex. Attach some plywood to the wall then mount 8 boxes to it. I'd like to splice the wires (wire nuts) and run new romex into the panel and breakers. The question is, is this the best approach or is there something better or simpler. What a mess.

Default Re: Electrical Panel sabotage

Howdy better is to re run these cut sections. Hopefully they are short runs. Anohter idea is to install a sub panel if the wiring is run so installing one gives you the lenght to wire it with the cut wires. Be sure to open the recpticle covers before energizing the home to see if they srewed with the wiring in other ways. Like mis wiring three wires or crossing nutrals with hots ... i hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by magnm01 View Post
    I purchased a foreclosure that the previous owners took out some aggression on. They cut sections of all of the romex leaving the panel. I counted 8 circuits that need to be spliced. The panel is mounted on a finished wall and I only have about 2 inches of wire protruding. My thought is to remove some drywall around the area to expose 8 inches or so of romex. Attach some plywood to the wall then mount 8 boxes to it. I'd like to splice the wires (wire nuts) and run new romex into the panel and breakers. The question is, is this the best approach or is there something better or simpler. What a mess.
    Could you post a picture of said damage?
    Even though eight circuits were sabotaged, you do not have to make up one pig-tail per J-box. Say if you are using 4X4 deep J-boxes you could easily cut that number in half. Assuming the cut Romex was all 12/2, that is.
    The idea of a sub-panel was a good one as well.
    I personally would pull as much new Romex as possible. But that is just me. I also agree that there may be other hidden damage as well.
    Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 02-10-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spellin, of course !!!

Onr thing to remember is that you can not cover up the Jboxes in tha wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Any splices have to be accessible . As stated , you can't cover them up behind drywall , etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Onr thing to remember is that you can not cover up the Jboxes in tha wall.
    Jack
    Very true.
    Some type of access panel above the load center is paramount, but something that is sorely lacking in most remodeling situations...

I had to fix this exact same thing in a rental property a few years ago. I just put in 2 / 2 gang old work boxes one above the panel one below. Then put a nice clean cover plate over it and I was done. you could put 2 or 3 above or below, whatever your situation requires.

This could be a good idea for a new product tho...

a box that could be installed "old work" above or below a panel about 14' wide by 8' tall maybe 2 inches deep with a hinged finished cover.... like a 6 gang old work ... I know you can use metal old works and gang a bunch together but good luck getting a blank plate that big ... just a thought or two
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I had to fix this exact same thing in a rental property a few years ago. I just put in 2 / 2 gang old work boxes one above the panel one below. Then put a nice clean cover plate over it and I was done. you could put 2 or 3 above or below, whatever your situation requires.

This could be a good idea for a new product tho...

a box that could be installed "old work" above or below a panel about 14' wide by 8' tall maybe 2 inches deep with a hinged finished cover.... like a 6 gang old work ... I know you can use metal old works and gang a bunch together but good luck getting a blank plate that big ... just a thought or two
    Maybe we can patent such a gang plate!!!
    Quit our day job and loaf life away on a sunny beach on days like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Maybe we can patent such a gang plate!!!
    Quit our day job and loaf life away on a sunny beach on days like today.
    and give up the canned chowder?
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    and give up the canned chowder?
    Got to dig my way out of the abode today, running dangerously low of product on the Spam shelf.