+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exterior uplights question - driving me crazy

Hello, Im new but have a very irritating problem that I cant even get answers from my local Electrical supply companies about.

I have 5 exterior uplight areas on my house with junction boxes that are meant for beauty and ambiance only, they are little fixtures that point the light upwards to creat a nice effect.
    My problem is that the cheap flood light fixtures that my electrical guy originally installed kept burning up from rain or my sprinkler system. I switched to a cheap-o halogen type fixture from home depot that seemed more "enclosed" with a glass cover on the top of it, but bugs are attracted to it and burn up on the glass, eventually the oil from the bugs cracks the glass, water gets in and, yet again, they burn up.

I have literally re-installed probably 25 fixtures in the 3 years Ive lived in my house. Ive looked alot ****** and called around to supposed experts to ask,

"Is there a water resitant exterior uplight on the market??? Or maybe one that wont burn up when bug guts get on it???"

Alas, there is no good, or even not-good answers it seems...maybe you guys know of something that would help?

Oh, and yes, I have adjusted all of my sprinkler heads to eliminate most water hitting the fixtures. The rain gets em now.

Thanks so much!
    Luke

Default Re: Exterior uplights question - driving me crazy

Luke,
    You might try doing a search for LED lighting.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Home Depot is NOT the place to be buying any kind of light fixture, particularly exterior lighting. Go to a landscape irrigation supplier, they usually have lighting and other hardware needs common to irrigation and landscape installers.

Yes, you're going to pay more for your parts and supplies, but the quality and durability will be far and above that of Evil Orange and other common retailers who's only focus is cheap quality products.

Look in the phone book under irrigation supply.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I've used automotive lights and connections --- they live in the harshest outdoor enviroments.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

That's a pretty common problem with the cheap halogens. If you want to stick with them (they are nice and small) move them away from the house so they are at a better angle.

When we need straight up flood lighting that will not give us any trouble, we use these http://www.rabweb.com/product_detail.php?product=VR300F

You can also go with a 12V system and get enclosed 12V well lights.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I've used automotive lights and connections --- they live in the harshest outdoor enviroments.
    Now there's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Then what do you do? Tie all the connections into your slightly used Yugo?
    I too agree with the posts that big box locations are a poor choice for finding durable products. And I mean any product.
    Talk to a small business owner who will help you and who truely appreciates your business.
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 02-23-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spellin, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Then what do you do? Tie all the connections into your slightly used Yugo?
    Yugo ?!?!? What's that?
    Naw --- lucky for us those things never showed up around here.

That's the beauty of filament bulbs --- they aren't partial to AC or DC current.
    Got the idea a long time ago when doing some work at an electrical generating plant. Here they use HVDC for the transmission lines and the plant used 120 VDC for their lighting --- the bulbs were standard off the shelf incandecant which worked fine.
    With the outdoor landscaping lights that use a 12VAC transformer you can use automotive filament bulbs.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

No Yugos north of the border? Move to the good olde Land of the Free. We allow any import in this country, as long as it eliminates American jobs. Go figure.
    But then those in control could never find a working man or women. Sorry, have to go take my meds now.

Quote Originally Posted by luke42 View Post
    Hello,
    ....cheap flood light fixtures ... cheap-o ... home depot ....
    Thanks so much!
    Luke
    Well there you have it.

I always like kichler lighting for landscape lighting. I never had any problems with any of there stuff. Never liked malibu, not really a fan of any low volt lighting tho..

LEDs are a good idea .. but i would put those LEDS in a quality fixture and I agree with Spruce the big orange isnt exactly a beacon of quality.

edited to add

You should also look very closely at the environment around the fixtures for instance;
    Is there water running from somewhere else directly onto the lense?
    maybe draining from somewhere else or being splashed in from a puddle?

My thought is that even cheap junk will withstand normal drops of rain but maybe its a sudden influx of water causing them to break.

just a thought goodluck
    Last edited by Lloyd; 02-26-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: to add
    Help us name our new Hidden Content