+ Reply to Thread

Default Metal Jamp Liners

We recently bought a house built in 1958. The windows are double-hung wooden windows with aluminum liners on the sides of the jambs. On the left side of bottom (inside) sash there is an aluminum tube (maybe 5/8" in dia) that runs from the top of the jamb down to the window, but not all the way through the window. Some of the windows are stuck, others open fine and stay open, and others open but slide back down. My question really is how do these windows work? Is it just friction between the metal liners and the window sash that should hold the windows open? What can I do for the windows that do not stay open? and lastly what is the purpose of the aluminum tube? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Metal Jamp Liners

The tube likely houses a spring. It's fatigued.

Default Re: Metal Jamp Liners

I suspect I have something close to yours. Mine are aluminum, with no tube, though. There are screws at the top and bottom on either side. So they basically work by friction. By adjusting those screws in or out, the width of the opening is changed. Obviously tightening the screws opens the width more, and loosening it closes the width. I am constantly adjusting them throughout the year, the top sashes are always dropping a couple inches in the fall when the weather changes. Go to Vandykes.com and you will find different sash holding, locking, opening hardware for old houses.
    hope that helps. Cheers.