+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower Tile

Default Shower Tile

I have some left over ceramic tile from my previous home improvement project. I'm planning to use them to re-tile my bathroom shower. Can I use them to tile the wall around the shower and the ceiling above the shower? I'm afraid that some day the tile will crash on me when I'm showering. Is it safe to do this?

Thank you for all your replies. I have some ideas of what to do. In response to A. Spruce, my project will be like this. My shower area has an old vinyl/plastic tile that I want to get rid of. Since I have some left over ceramic tile (12X12) that is more than enough to cover the whole bathroom area (floor and shower) I'm thinking to do this job. The shower area is covered all around by this vinyl/plastic tile including the ceiling, of course except the side with the shower curtain. Hopefully this will give you an idea that I want to accomplish.
    Last edited by rfjcruz1; 02-22-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Add more information for my project. Respondent want to know exactly my plan.

Default Re: Shower Tile

Unless your tiles are actually thick slabs of stone --- well that might be something to reconsider
    If you install the tiles properly and with the correct adhesive it's completely safe --- it's done quite often.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Unless your tiles are actually thick slabs of stone --- well that might be something to reconsider
    If you install the tiles properly and with the correct adhesive it's completely safe --- it's done quite often.
    Also, if it's OK what kind of mortar to use with good adhesive.

Thanks

If the substrate is the same as the walls -- it would be the same mortar.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by rfjcruz1 View Post
    Also, if it's OK what kind of mortar to use with good adhesive.

Thanks
    It is unclear what you're trying to accomplish or how you're going about it. The products you use, as well as where and how you use them will depend on wall composition.

Mortar is a cementious base that tile would be applied over. Thinset would be used to adhere tile to a mortar bed or any tile backer board surface. Thinset is a dry mixed, cement based product. Mastic (aka adhesive ) is used to glue tile directly to drywall surfaces.

Normal drywall is not allowed within a tub/shower area, it must be either green board (moisture resistant ) or blue board (moisture proof -??? ). If you're gluing the tile directly to the sheetrock, then blue board, if you're installing a mortar base, then green board. You could forgo drywall altogether and install tile backer board such as hardi-backer or Durrock (cement board ). Tile backers can be installed over drywall as well, which at the very least must be green board.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rfjcruz1 View Post
    I have some left over ceramic tile from my previous home improvement project. I'm planning to use them to re-tile my bathroom shower. Can I use them to tile the wall around the shower and the ceiling above the shower? I'm afraid that some day the tile will crash on me when I'm showering. Is it safe to do this?
    No offense, but you haven't seen tiled ceilings in showers before?

I haven't.