+ Reply to Thread

Default Desperate for plumbing issue advice!

My husband and I are remodeling a home built in 1918. We added a second bathroom in an attic space on the second floor. While doing this, we had the entire house re-plumbed. The plumber was very thorough and efficient. He roughed in everything. My husband and I then tiled the floor and shower in this new upstairs bathroom. We were not living in the house at the time. Once we moved in, we noticed a sewer smell in this upstairs bathroom. We soon figured out that the trap underneath the shower drain was installed at an angle. (The space in the floor was not very deep. The plumber had us build up the toliet about 4 inches so that it would drain properly). Thus, there is water in it, but because the trap is leaning, the water does not fill the space and thus sewer gas is leaking up through this pipe. We currently have a rubber plug over the drain and just remove it when we shower. We really do not want to have to tear up the floor and shower to replace this trap. Further, due to a tornado here in Kansas, we have found that our plumber had damage to his home and has moved out of state. Is there anything we can do???? Thank you in advance for your help!

Default Re: Desperate for plumbing issue advice!

The alternative would be to open the ceiling of the room below this bathroom to repair this trap issue.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Agree with canuk.

It also sounds like the floor joists must be quite small if they don't provide enough room for this shower trap to sit upright... and that you had to build the toilet up 4". 2x4 joists maybe? Are they really strong enough to support the weights involved?
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-26-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Darn good point Mr ****hiller.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You can fit a two inch p-trap into 8" floor joist space but you have to cheat the the boring minimums. Less than 2x8 no way. Your plumber is terrible. And if its leaning enough to break th weir then how is the drain plumb to the shower? This sound like poor craftsmanship forom bow to stearn.
    Last edited by i.m.plummin; 08-30-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: info