+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Tub faucet leaks when shower is on

When the knob is fully turned to shower, half of the water still comes out of the tub faucet. Can I fix this or do I need a plumber?

Default Re: Tub faucet leaks when shower is on

Hey Heather, generally fixing a faucet is not too hard, but it does require shutting off the main water and taking apart your faucet. Depending on the type of faucet you have, this can be a little tricky.

It sounds like you might have a worn out diverter valve or perhaps a worn out washer.

Does your shower have three knobs, with the middle one being responsible for turning the shower on and off?
    Installing a Residential Elevator or Hidden Content does not have to be complicated.

Default Re: Tub faucet leaks when shower is on

The diverter is an easy repair and works just like the normal hot/cold valves with a rubber seat. Remove the stem and you'll find the rubber washer held in place with a screw. Remove the screw to replace the washer. Reassemble the valve and you're back in business. The diverter isn't hooked up to any pressurized supply, that is the job of the hot/cold valves. The diverter merely changes the water flow from the tub spout to the shower head. I would also recommend Googling your valve brand and finding the manufacturer's repair manual on it. This will provide an exploded view of the valve to give you a good idea what you're getting into and how to do the repair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!