+ Reply to Thread

Default "how-to" build a small dock off existing patio

Currently have a small 6' x 10' patio near water's edge and
    was hoping to find some plans to build a small dock (3' x 16') off this existing patio. The water is rather shallow @ this point, probably no more than 3' deep. I searched internet for plans, but search basically led me to larger dock systems.

I read somewhere that building a dock is similar to building a deck, but I'm concerned about the design of the "legs" and making them sturdy enough. They'll be sitting on a relatively sandy lake bottom in a cove area. Would also like to make it modular - in pieces so that its easy to remove.

Have seen some home-made docks build out of PVC tubing, but would
    prefer a wooden frame.

Default Re: "how-to" build a small dock off existing patio

You have two options, one being having a professional company come over and sink pilings into the sandy bottom for you and then you could tie them together with cross members, lag bolted into the piles.

This is probably the most long lasting and solid solution. Putting in your own piles, you run the risk of not getting them down deep into the sand so that they settle in time and your whole dock system becomes a house of cards and ragged.

The other system would include a floating dock system where you use some flotation materials as your base and construct dock sections that would ride on top of them. You should do some research on this one to see how easy/hard it would be. I think the upside would be that it would cost less than a piling system and you could do it yourself rather than hiring it out.

Good Luck.