+ Reply to Thread

Default Mahogany vs Ipe for T&G front porch

Hi,

I need to replace my doug fir T&G porch. I am considering either Mahogany or Ipe. Any thoughts as to the pros and cons for each?

I do appeciate that Ipe cannot be painted. However, that is not an issue. Regardless of which wood I choose they will not be painted. Rather, I will either put marine varnish on the Mahogany or Messmer's UV Plus for the Ipe.

Thanks,

Mark
    Last edited by MWL; 08-25-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Default Re: Mahogany vs Ipe for T&G front porch

Either wood would be a good choice. The Mahogany you could probably nail the tongues without having to predrill. The Ipe you would probably have to predrill before nailing thus taking up more time. Also I would not put varnish on the mahogany it could get very slippery when it was wet plus when it does come time to refinish it could be very difficult and time consuming to sand it all down. A good sealer should be good. You might have to do it every couple of years but a good cleaning and re-coat probably wouldn't take more than a day or two. Hope this helps you out.

Default Re: Mahogany vs Ipe for T&G front porch

Just curious if you have made a decision. We live in Connecticut and are going to replace a small covered back porch off our kitchen. The floor is made of t&g douglas fir. We were considering ipe, which has been recommended to us, but were disappointed with a porch we saw with ipe installed just last year. While the wood is very hard, it seems to splinter easily. Perhaps sealing wood remedy this. Also, the boards on this t&g floor have some wide spaces between the boards about 1/8 inch.--the boards used were 5/4 x6; we would use 5/4 X 4.