+ Reply to Thread

Default lound bang/popping noise when turning on gas burner on range

Recently been hearing a loud bang or popping sound when turning on my gas burner on my range. it has been intermittent but annoying. The burners light without a problem though.

checked my circuit breaker box and not a problem of tripping one out. recently as of today went into basement after this occured and opened a light switch in my basment to investigate the sound and the noise happened again afer turning on the light switch.

does anyone here have a clue what is going on? Should I worry this may cause a FIRE somehow!

PLEASE SOEMONE HELP ME OUT I AM IN MA!

Thanks

Default Re: lound bang/popping noise when turning on gas burner on range

If the noise is coming from inside the oven, it is likely the bottom drip tray that is expanding and twisting, causing the bang/pop.

When you turned on the light switch, was the noise at/near the switch or in the same room or was it emanating from the oven/kitchen area?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm trying to figure out what leads one to the breaker box --- to a light switch in the basement --- because of a noise the stove makes while lighting ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the input but it is not coming from the oven itself but the top burners on the gas range. When I go to ignite one of the burners I hear this loud popping /banging sound. It does not sound like it is coming from the range itself but somewhere else in the house. BUT IT IS VERY LOUD!

I decide to check in the basement since all the utility hookups are in the basement of course.

And for the first time when turning on the switch to my basement kitchen( furnished basment) I heard the popping bang sound again BUT this time by opening the light switch downstairs and NOT the gas burner on my range upstairs.

I hope that explains it better b/c I need some serious help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If the noise is coming from inside the oven, it is likely the bottom drip tray that is expanding and twisting, causing the bang/pop.

When you turned on the light switch, was the noise at/near the switch or in the same room or was it emanating from the oven/kitchen area?
    Please read my last post and help me out!

thanks

I know that there is a clicking, then a "pop" and "fa-whump" when igniting the burners on my stove. The clicking is the igniter, the "pop" is the initial spark of fire, the "fa-whump" is the gas igniting around the burner. If none of this is describing the sounds/reactions you're experiencing, then it's probably not the stove at all.

If it's the stove, one thing that is coming to mind is possibly the gas supply pipe is loose in the wall or under the floor. When you turn on the stove, there's an immediate reduction in pressure, then full pressure again. This would be enough to make the pipe jiggle and bang, but it would only happen when the stove was used, it would have no bearing on noises coming from a switch or electrical system.

I would say that this is going to take more diagnosing. Does this sound ONLY happen when turning on the stove? Does it do it EVERY time the stove is turned on? Is the noise louder in the kitchen or in the basement? Are you able to duplicate the noise at your will?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I know that there is a clicking, then a "pop" and "fa-whump" when igniting the burners on my stove. The clicking is the igniter, the "pop" is the initial spark of fire, the "fa-whump" is the gas igniting around the burner. If none of this is describing the sounds/reactions you're experiencing, then it's probably not the stove at all.

If it's the stove, one thing that is coming to mind is possibly the gas supply pipe is loose in the wall or under the floor. When you turn on the stove, there's an immediate reduction in pressure, then full pressure again. This would be enough to make the pipe jiggle and bang, but it would only happen when the stove was used, it would have no bearing on noises coming from a switch or electrical system.

I would say that this is going to take more diagnosing. Does this sound ONLY happen when turning on the stove? Does it do it EVERY time the stove is turned on? Is the noise louder in the kitchen or in the basement? Are you able to duplicate the noise at your will?
    It mainly happens when I turn the gas burners on any one of the 4 burners basically I hear a popping sound. Never happened before. It is not a clicking sound nor fa whump sound. I am all familiar with the typical sounds a gas range would put out. In terms of a pipe being loose I hardly doubt it since I can hear it throughout the entire house. It almost sounds like a "BUCK-BUCK-BUCK-BUCK" SOUND....

Is there an electrician in the house?

Thanks for all your input so far...?