Poll: Do you tip contractors/ postal workers/ supers/ handypersons, etc at holiday time?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Do you tip contractors/ postal workers/ supers/ handy persons/ plumbers

During the holiday season, do you tip your home improvement and home management workers? With cash or banana bread/ fruit cake?

Arrow Re: Do you tip contractors/ postal workers/ supers/ handy persons/ plumbers

I tip in gifts, especially if they went out of their way to get the job done quickly and with quality.

Since I have been in the contracting field, I know how I felt when someone gave me a nice gift to let me know I was appreciated and I stood out among others.

I would only tip the most courteous and helpful. If you have an attitude or you don't do the job right and never fix it, you won't get a gift from me.

Allison
    http://www.novapros.com

Default Re: Do you tip contractors/ postal workers/ supers/ handy persons/ plumbers

I do tip but not with cash or gifts. I tip with gift cards. for example my regular postman where we lived before was always wearing gloves with no finger tips in the spring and fall and then over those in winter full gloves that he's always pulling one off to put the mail in the boxes - he was always loosing one of those gloves so I used to give him gift certificates to a nice leather store that carries nice gloves. he always wrote a thank you note and next time I see him shows off his newest pair of gloves.

when i'm not sure what specific gift card to buy i sometimes buy those american express gift cards when i heard that sometimes people take down the numbers of these cards before they are sold and activated i switched to postal money orders for mailing in thank you or christmas cards. when i lived in NYC I gave the doorman a large gift certificate and a catalog for lambs end I knew from his thank you card he enjoyed his purchases of good hunting socks and high-tech long underwear made that cold lobby almost tolerable for the rest of the winter. i have also had sent specialty foods from elsewhere like ruby red g****fruit from texas sent and other fruit and nut assortments, jelly of the month club and similar but dont do that anymore because i ended up sending g****fruit to someone on medication that couldn't eat g****fruit and one time sent an assortment with nuts to the home of a person who had a child with a nut alergy. i once rewarded a contractor with a subscription to a beers of the world thing that sent a variety of different beers every other month for a year - big mistake the guy was a recovering alcoholic!

if i'm tipping a snow plower, landscaper or appliance delivery team painter at the time of work i give them like cash certificates or gift cards but never just $20. i wouldn't tip a self employed handyman on the job but i have sent a xmas or birthday gift certificate with an additional thank you still enjoying the quality of your work note with happy wishes.

Arrow Re: Do you tip contractors/ postal workers/ supers/ handy persons/ plumbers

That is what I try to do, is to give a specific gift for the person. Over the course of time doing work for us, I really get to know the contractor or postal worker, so I have a pretty good idea of what they would like. It is great to see the smile on their face when they receive a gift. I think a lot of good contractors get a bad rap from the many bad contractors, so I will go out of my way to let them know that I truly appreciated their service.

Customer service will get you a long way, especially in the DC area, where sometimes I think it is all but lost.

Allison
    http://www.novapros.com

Default Re: Do you tip contractors/ postal workers/ supers/ handy persons/ plumbers

No, not usually. Never postal workers, though I have spontaneously given them boxes of candy people have sent me that I thought they might enjoy more than I would. The boxes were received with great delight.

We had to tip the super when living in NYC - it's sort of like forced bribery. Thankfully, we no longer have to do that.

We do tip contractors if we are in the midst of serious work. Sort of a thank you and incentive.

I'm not a canoe I don't tip.

This whole practice of tipping people for doing their job needs to stop.

Yes,

I tip them with fruitcake.

The fruitcake exchanges hands........... Mine may have been given to George Washington!

I shop on a military base, so the baggers are all volunteers and work on tips only. I try to go there a few more times during the holidays. And if they were great baggers and friendly, I give them an extra tip. I think customer service really goes a long way in how we feel and react to others, especially with our tipping.

NOVA Pros