+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting a tiled celing...

We have a tiled ceiling on our front enclosed porch. It's looking a bit dingy/gray and slightly warped, but at this point I don't want to deal with replacing it. Since I'm going to be painting the walls, I would like to just paint the ceiling too so it looks a little brigher. I've heard that tiled ceilings tend to absorb a lot of paint and multiple coats maybe needed...is this true? Should I prime it? Or is there special paint I should buy? Thanks!

Default Re: Painting a tiled celing...

I've painted a few tile ceilings...the best thing to do is go to Home Depot and rent a sprayer. It's saves a ton of time, it will take extra paint, though, there's no way around it.

Default Re: Painting a tiled celing...

Kimhandygirl is right on, with her idea. Spraying is the only way to do it right. When you rent the sprayer and compressor at Home Depot, also pick up several rolls of masking tape and some 3 or 4 mil plastic sheeting. Cover EVERYTHING you don't want painted, on the porch.

It shouldn't take that much extra paint. Just make the first coat a quick coat and don't worry too much about how it looks. The second coat is where you'll want to take your time and get the coverage right so the finish is uniform.

Good luck.