+ Reply to Thread

Default glass brick windows

We are renovating the bathroom on the second floor and we took the walls to the studs. We have no window there so we are thinking to put 2 glass brick columns between studs (so we won't impact the structure of the exterior wall by cutting the studs). Does anybody has any idea if this will work? If yes, where should I stop with the vapor barrier and how can I build the window opening? Thank you.

Default Re: glass brick windows

Without knowing what your knowledge of framing is, I'll make some assumptions and tell you what I'd do.

Running two columns of glass blocks up on either side of the stud may look a little strange. Besides that, how will you finish the single stud in the middle, on the outside of the building?

I'd take out the stud in the middle, making a larger window space. Find out what the measurements of the glass blocks are, that you'll be using. Frame the opening to fit the blocks and mortar. I'd build a short header between the remaining studs (use two 2x4s with a piece of half inch plywood between them. Stand them on edge so you're looking at the 3 and a half inch face of one of the 2x4s. Use this as your header and put in a short stud in the middle, up to the top plate.

If you're worried about load bearing capability, you should probably put a stud up against each of the remaining studs, between the floor plate and the little header you just built.

Using this method, you can make the window any size you want, pretty much. When sizing the block and opening, don't forget that you'll have mortar on each end, next to the wood.

Good Luck.