+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Re: Leaking shower - how to remove stem??

Forgot to mention that what seems to be the shower diverter, is not. It is plumbed in parallel with the tub faucets. Thus you can run the shower without touching the tub faucets. Is this something unusual? Everyone I mention this to, thinks it is very unusual.

Default Re: Leaking shower - how to remove stem??

It didn't used to be unusual. Basically you set the temp with the normal mixing valves then are able to turn the whole thing on/off with the "master" valve. It's primary purpose is to temporarily control the water flow when necessary, as opposed to set it once and forever more have the perfect shower setting.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Interesting. The handle on this goes from "Off" to "Cold", to "Hot". So you adjust it for the temperature. You just have no control over the force of the water pressure. (See picture and click on it to enlarge)

Then we're talking about two different things. Sounds like someone installed a shower valve in line with the tub valves because they were too cheap to buy a combo valve.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If I understand the description correctly, I have seen a similar type of setup in a couple older physical therapy clinics. In the whirlpool area, they keep the one "mixer" valve at the desired temperature and never touch it. They turn the supply on and off with the second valves which they open up all the way when they turn them on. As I said, these are older clinics and they are probably due for a renovation because the newer clinics don't have that set up!