+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leaking shower - how to remove stem??

I have an old shower (see pictures) that leaks. I am going to repair some tile that I've removed, but before I do that I want to fix the leak. I've spent the past 3 days getting the handles and covers removed and cleaned (CLR) and polished with chrome polish. Then I tried to remove the stem, without luck. The stem nut comes out ok, but the stem will not budge. Is the something different in a shower stem as compared to a kitchen or bathroom sink stem??

If the above image doesn't work, try:

http://picasaweb.google.com/11035001...461720/Shower#

Default Re: Leaking shower - how to remove stem??

[QUOTE=nylicens;147404]The stem nut comes out ok, but the stem will not budge.

I meant to add "other than the normal on-off rotation of the stem itself"

And since I'm here, how does one remove the spigot? There is no set screw so it seems to be screwed in, but I wasn't able to budge that either (though I didn't want to take a chance on crushing it with too much pressure)

Sometimes old parts become seized and won't come apart. I would recommend leaving the spout alone, clean it in place. Too much force applied can break the parts inside the wall, so unless you're prepared for a total valve replacement ...

The stem will probably back out of it's moorings. With the nut removed, put the handle back on and try turning it to the left. You may have to work it back and forth as you break it through the corrosion and mineral build up. Again, be prepared for total replacement if things should break.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

[QUOTE=A. Spruce;147725] I would recommend leaving the spout alone, clean it in place.

OK

...put the handle back on and....

DOH!

And I was worried that the pliers would gum up the ridges for the handle. :-)

Um, yeah, that probably wouldn't be a good thing ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

when things are old,you have 2 choices.....either force it and it works or replace everything..... prepare for the worst and hope for the the best.

OK, I've been trying to back the stem out for a few days now and there is no progress with either faucet. I posted another photo:

and marked it. Simply click on the image thumbnail to see the full image. I am afraid that what I thought was the stem nut (2) is actually just a packing nut and that number (1) is the actual nut that needs to be removed to get at the washer. The problem is - it is larger than the tile opening. I have a tool that I think I can use to enlarge the opening in the tile, but before I go and do that, I was wondering if anyone can confirm or negate my suspicions??

Cheers!
    Last edited by nylicens; 02-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Question Re: Leaking shower - how to remove stem??

Still trying to remove stem to replace washer and valve seat without any luck at all. I posted another picture (click to enlarge) and wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I know I could rip it all out but behind the wall is a Victorian pantry (which wife loves) and she also wants to keep the 50's wall tile.

So I could rip out the pantry and try to rebuild it once new faucets are installed. I'd love to avoid doing this - I have more than enough other stuff to do in an 1890's Victorian that's gone 60 years without much attention.

no sure never had that problem.

Thumbs up Re: Leaking shower - how to remove stem??

Success!

I used a tile cutter to enlarge the tile opening, and with 5 days of Blaster soaking and a mighty big adjustable wrench got the stems (#1 in the picture) removed and was able to change the washers out. The hot still requires a bit of excessive pressure to shut off, so I guess I'll have to find a valve seat regrinding tool, because I was unable to get the valve seat out. It has oddball valve seat tool notches which are semi-visible in the picture I uploaded, as is the roughness in the seat itself on the bottom edge: