+ Reply to Thread

Post Exterior Wall Insulation

My son has a home that is 100 yrs +. His heat bill here in the Midwest was $400 per month. Last summer we blew in 6 inches of insulation in his entire attic area, and it barely helped. Must assume that the heat is escaping thru the walls themselves. Windows do not appear to be leaking. Old slat walls - and no idea how best to insulate. Appreciate some knowledgeable input!
    Last edited by gracead; 08-25-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Exterior Wall Insulation

I am looking at using closed cell spray foam, my wall have no insulation and no real vapour barrior to speak of. the foam will do both. I am no expert, but it is the best i have comeup with and have yet to see anything that is negative... well except the cost. may be 2-3 times what it costs to blow in celulose. but for my 2x4 walls it will end up being r24 instead of just r12 so that will really payoff in the long run.

I am looking at the do-it-yourself kits from tigerfoam.com
    i have a couple of local contractors that do spray foam, but none that do the in-wall applications.

BTW i had the same experience with insulation in the attic at a different building, blew in another r20 for total of about r40 and didn't see any improvement. realize now that it is mostly just the lack of vapor barrior that was causing the problem.

good luck, let me know if you come up with anything else

Thumbs up Re: Exterior Wall Insulation

i'v just been there done that I looked in to do it your self kits but found in my area was more cost effective to have them come and do it. $20.00 more to be exact and garanteed to be right my house had no insulation either even the air conditioner liked it!!!! I wish i did the upstairs too the guy i used pluged up the holes so i just needed to mud over and paint