+ Reply to Thread

Question shopping for new hvac system-please help!!

Hello,

Our house is located in southern Oklahoma, summers 110 and winter days as cold as about 25f. Our house is about 2400sq feet, 4 bedrooms, one story brick. It seems to be fairly well insulated, and was built in 1974. Our current ac system is a Dymler Chrysler (no joke) the ac no longer works and the furnace part is too expensive to run.I would say it was installed in 1974. It us ducted in the floor (house on pier and beam). Any suggestions on most efficient and best on the market?? Also I am sure we are going to have to run new ductwork, should we put it in the attic this time??
    Please help I have read and read and still not sure what exactly would be the best for us.
    p.s. we are total electric

Default Re: shopping for new hvac system-please help!!

I would suggest a variable-speed fan coil (inside) with a 2-speed heat pump. Why do you think the ductwork needs replacing?

Because the current duct work under the house has flooded in the past. If we get a massive amount of rain, you can look down the vents and actually see the water in them. It has only happen once in the 4 years we lived here-but still not good.

What ton you think we need?? I have called a few hvac people but none will even give me a call back!

also what is the difference in a 2 speed heat pump and just a regular one?? I'm pretty clueless...

Quote Originally Posted by skinygrl82 View Post
    also what is the difference in a 2 speed heat pump and just a regular one?? I'm pretty clueless...
    Size will depend on insulation, windows and how the house (windows) are positioned to the sun. We normally oversize heat pumps to get more Btus out of them. That's why a "2-speed" is great because it will operate on low most of the time and go to high when needed. This will increase the efficiency, comfort and run more quitely. A 5 ton is probably what you'll need. This will get all kinds of flak but I'm just trying to answer that question. How do you heat your house now? Is your fan coil strickly for the A/C? Also, you didn't say why you needed new ductwork.

Because the current duct work under the house has flooded in the past. If we get a massive amount of rain, you can look down the vents and actually see the water in them. It has only happen once in the 4 years we lived here-but still not good.

What ton you think we need?? I have called a few hvac people but none will even give me a call back!
    Sorry, I didn't read the flooding ductwork part. My eyes went right to the size issue and no one returning your call. Amazing. If I wasn't 1,500 miles away, I would call. LOL
    Do you have a crawl space? I would try to eliminate the flooding problem and keep the ductwork out of the HOT attic.

I know I sound like an idiot-but im really not sure what kind of heater it is...just that it is electric and built with the central air. We have a gas insert in fireplace and 5 burner inferred in the kitchen. We run central heat only when its really cold because it clangs and costs a fortune to run.

As for the flooding, we put in a french drain and it seems to have helped. The crawl space varies in height,but reguardless we are going to have to run all new ducts, im sure old ones are outdated, leak, and full of mold.

Also as for the no call backs-same thing when we roofed, and needed plumbing work. There is a lot of commercial development going on in our area, and no one wants to fool with the small jobs.

Also as for the no call backs-same thing when we roofed, and needed plumbing work. There is a lot of commercial development going on in our area, and no one wants to fool with the small jobs.
    Thanks for the added info. You will need to add electric heat to the fan coil because the heat pump won't handle the heating load all of the time.